Chapter Thirty-Four

The track was empty when I arrived. The whole area was soulless, everyone likely at the sale, which made me feel both apprehensive and calm. My heart was pounding at the thought of something happening to people, but my ego was glad there was no one around to see my forced, choppy gait as I struggled to loosen my cramping.

The second lap was easier as my motions stretched muscles.

As I rounded the track and began my third lap, I felt the pressure beginning to flow out of my over-stressed body. I started to feel the ache of a great workout rather than the unrelenting pain. For a moment, I wanted to believe that meant nothing would happen, then I chastised myself for being delusional. I couldn't give in to optimism. I knew the throbbing I'd felt was an omen, just like the pain I'd felt before my mom died. It was unmistakable, a feeling you never forget.

I should go back, I knew, but I couldn't move in that direction.

My feet continued to pound tar as though they had a mind of their own. I wasn't strong enough to go back. A coward. Logically, I knew that wasn't true and there was likely nothing I could do. But what if I could and didn't, and someone was hurt?

Now more than ever I wished that I could contact Nancy. She'd know what to do, or she'd at least understand and listen. She knew my mom and that I had abilities, and never pushed me to prove anything. Heck, Nance would have had the perfect prank to combat what was happening and I would've been fine with it because I knew she'd never hurt anyone.

She'd seen me at my worst and stuck with me.

Now, no matter how nice Devland was being, it was his fault I couldn't contact her.

The anger I felt over that slashed my energy, and I slowed to a walk. Finally, I stopped, hunching over to breathe deep, balancing with my hands on my knees. Looking up, I exhaled and smiled as I watched Calin making his way across the field to where I was just as the sun came out of hiding, sending a warm glow over his distant, shadowy form. My heart flipped in my chest.

Calin waved and smiled, showing off his dimples. He was way too good looking for anyone's good. For the first time, I actually empathized with Duvessa's need to hang on to him with her diabolical, malicious schemes. It was just too bad for her that he was a sane human being.

I stood up, waving. My smile died as my stomach clenched, and I doubled over as the pain radiated outwards from my stomach. I knew without a doubt that whatever I'd feared would happen was occurring right now.

"Nora?" Calin ran over and threw his arms around me as I sat on the ground, my knees hugged to my chest as I whimpered in agony. He pushed my hair out of my face and tried to search it for any telltale sign of what was happening.

I rocked back and forth as Calin, unsure of what to do, rocked along with me in a soothing embrace only he could pull off. It was the only thing keeping my sanity. My hands dug into his sleeves, grasping the muscles underneath and fisting the fabric as the pain climaxed. My teeth dug into my bottom lip so hard that the bitter taste of blood assaulted my senses. Calin put his hand on the back of my head, guiding it to his shoulder.

My lips were a breath away from the stubble beginning along his jawline. Even through the pain, I fantasized about other instances that would bring us this close together. I groaned as the pain began to ebb.

"Nora?" Calin asked, cradling my face in his palms as he moved to make eye contact again. "What's going on?"

I couldn't speak as I shook my head and allowed the tears that I'd been holding back to fall down my cheeks with uncontrollable yet silent sobs that racked my body. Every cell within my body was on fire, my surroundings never seeming clearer. It was like the eye of the storm: calm, silent, and deadly scary.