Chapter Twenty-Seven

Devland didn't show for supper, so it was relaxing, just Calin and I. Sure there was tension. There always was, but I couldn't imagine ignoring him like I had before I lost my memory. Being able to see people for who they were was the best thing that came out of not knowing who I was, and I was grateful I'd gotten to know Calin without judging him for being with Duvessa.

"So." Calin set his utensils down, leaning back in his chair once he finished his second helping.

"Hmm?"

"My mom wants you to come to my place for supper."

I swallowed my last bite and looked at him with wide eyes. "Islene?"

My mother's best friend wanted to meet me? Even before I'd heard her defend me, I'd wanted to meet her, but I was also scared. She was my mother's best friend, and I'd heard so much similarity between her and my mom while I listened to her speak, I knew it was going to be bittersweet.

"I only have one mom, Nora," Calin said, smiling wide. "Of course, Islene."

"I would love to."

"But?"

"Well, I want to find the prankster."

"That has nothing to do with meeting my mom, Nora."

"I want to keep my alibi until we find the prankster."

"I am not following." Calin raised his eyebrows, looking confused.

"Well," I said. "If we are at the Manor and a prank is pulled, I can remind Devland that I was here—under his roof—when it was done. It's undeniable."

"My mom would back you up."

"I know, it's just that I want Devland to know how wrong he is."

"Weren't you at the Manor before when a prank was pulled?"

I nodded, pushing my plate away. Without hesitating, I turned, angling my body to face him on my left. "I was." I nodded again. "But you're here with me now, and I just really want to be able to point that out to Devland if he calls me into the office or something."

"I don't understand, but I will respect it," Calin said, then sighed. "I don't know how to explain it to my mom."

I laughed. "Just tell her I want to meet her and then repeat what I said. Hopefully, she reacts like you." I shrugged. "It's how my mom would've reacted."

Calin's grin widened, a sparkle lighting his eyes as he watched me. "I'm going to assume that makes you like me, huh?"

"Don't get cocky." I rolled my eyes, feeling the tension settle again, though not in a bad way. It was like a tiny current running just beneath my skin. I was comfortable yet anxious to hear what else Calin would say—or do.

With him, I never knew what came next.

"Just a little bit more?" Calin held up his thumb and pointer finger, inching them closer together. "I know, it'll be hard considering how much you already like me."

"Shut up!"

I leaned forward to slap Calin's chest. As the back of my hand hit him, he grabbed my forearm, pulling me forward so that I was on the edge of my seat. If it weren't for the corner of the dinner table digging into my stomach just under my ribs, I'd be sitting in his lap.

"Sooner or later, I'm going to get you to admit it, Nora," he said more quietly, and our gazes locked.

I licked my lips. "Admit what?"

He laughed, his eyes raising up to look over my shoulder, and I could sense a change. His smile slowly faded, his eyes hardening as he leaned back in his chair and let go of me. The atmosphere darkened, making me not want to look behind me.