Chapter Thirty-Two

We pulled up to the curb in front of Maible's house and parked behind Duvessa, who was already waiting at the bottom of the porch steps with her arms crossed and sporting a scowl.

Why did I agree to this?

I smiled through another cramp that had taken up residence in my stomach, hoping that Calin didn't notice my wince as I slid out once he rounded the car. He took my bag from me and walked by my side as we made our way to the house from the sidewalk.

"Why aren't we doing this at Dwyer Manor?" Duvessa complained as we drew near, and I saw Maible tense. "I mean, no offense or anything, but I'm guessing Maible's kitchen is barely large enough to fit us all at once, let alone allow us to move around and bake."

"If you're going to insult Maible, feel free to leave," I said with an icy tone.

"I just meant that your place probably has more room, not to mention ovens," Duvessa said with a too-sweet smile. "It wasn't an insult to Maible."

"It had better not be," Calin warned.

We all walked into Maible's house where she led us into the kitchen. I took the time to introduce myself to her father, Kyler, as my mother had taught me to do when invited into somebody else's home. I also said hello to Vanessa, her mother, and then tried to play it off that we'd just met when I realized I wasn't supposed to be able to remember meeting her when she cut my hair.

Oops.

Calin stayed with me and when we went back into the kitchen, we found an irritated Duvessa.

I looked around, seeing the island and an alcove with a dinner table. It was a perfect size, and much homier than the Manor.

Ignoring her, Calin rubbed his hands together. "What are we making?"

Guessing he'd never baked in his life, I laughed and pushed him to the sink. "Maybe take off your jacket and wash your hands first."

Maible took our coats and Calin pulled me with him to the sink so that we could wash our hands together while Duvessa watched us with a murderous glare. It was satisfying that she wasn't enjoying herself after her self-invite. A small part of me even relished that she didn't like how close Calin and I had obviously gotten.

Perhaps it was enough to make her slip up?

Our goal to not correct the dating rumor must be getting under her skin.

Either way, the reasons I allowed her to come remained.

"So, I have the ingredients to make Rice Crispie squares, banana bread, brownies, and chocolate chip cookies," Maible offered, rooting through a tall cupboard from her position standing precariously on a kitchen chair. "That's usually the basics at a bake sale, right?"

"Sure." Calin shrugged and rubbed his stomach as another cramp clenched mine. "They are all yummy for my tummy."

"I better not catch you sampling as we go." Maible pointed her finger at him, and Calin's face crumpled like a small boy who'd lost possession of his favorite toy. "But you can lick the bowl if you want."

"Yay!" Calin brightened and I rolled my eyes as he clapped.

Maible started pulling ingredients and supplies from various cupboards as I excused myself as my newly replaced phone began to ring. Fishing it out of my pocket, I stepped into the narrow hallway outside of the kitchen, though I was certain my voice carried.

"Hello?"

"Oh, hello," Mrs. Renaldi cooed from the other end, surprising me since I'd thought it was Devland when I'd seen the Manor on the screen.