Chapter Fifty

Everyone became silent at once as though a pin had been pulled from a grenade and they were waiting for the explosion. I smiled purposefully at Mrs. Hendrey as I watched the new information sink in, its meaning registering.

"Now, I know this is a lot and it sucks to realize that the student you were just chastising can actually teach you a thing or two. I feel obligated to make sure that you understand that I have absolutely no use for your class or what you prepare to teach, and that book? Is mine. I made it to share with the people my mother loved based on memories they shared of her while we were at her funeral. You had no right to obtain a copy and then make copies. Perhaps in a few years, I may consent to something like that, but right now that's a long way off."

"Right." She nodded blankly.

"And for the record?" I glanced back at Devland meaningfully and then back to Mrs. Hendrey. "My name? Is Noreena Fallyn. My mother's name was Vavila Fallyn. Do not call me Miss Dwyer again. No offense, Devland, but if you'd wanted me to have your name, you would have met me long before mom died. Being here now does not make you my father in any way, shape, or form, except in that we share DNA."

I turned on my heel, only to come face-to-face with Duvessa.

"You think that spouting your lineage in front of the school is going to win you points?" she asked, her face contorting into a sneer. "You're still a powerless nobody."

All at once, every locker in the hallway burst open and the contents within each came flying out in a frenzy while I held her gaze without flinching. Students standing in the way were pushed aside while others yelled to get out of the way of the flying objects. Duvessa involuntarily swallowed, taken aback. I waited until the last paper drifted to the floor and landed on the tiled floor before speaking.

"I know what my mother did your family, Duvessa. I know why and how and that it so obviously wasn't enough." I kept my tone determined and loud enough for everyone to hear.

Duvessa flinched away and refused to meet my gaze.

I pointed my finger at her, just below the chin, and without touching her once, rotated her face until we once again were eye-to-eye. Manipulating air was easy now, and something I could do without being expected to use a spell.

"And?" She swallowed.

I looked over at Mr. Corbin on my right and raised my chin. "I found the person pulling pranks and framing me when you didn't. You didn't want to find her because you had already known who it was. You spent years with her while she grew up. You knew her signature and must have sensed it the moment you realized that pranks had been pulled using the Craft."

Mr. Corbin nodded and darted his eyes to everyone that was watching. He wasn't embarrassed to be singled out; he was scared. As he should be. I was telling everyone what he'd done or really, failed to do. His position of authority at the school—in the community—was at stake.

"You refused to acknowledge who the real culprit was because she is your niece. Instead, you were content to punish me because it was easier even though you knew I had done nothing wrong," I recapped for everyone to hear like they were supposed to when he'd apologized to me. "There are people in the hospital because of her pranks and you thought that you could talk with her to set things right. You know that you are wrong. We all know that, and I am done pretending that it's okay."

"Noreena—"

"The time for talking is over, Duvessa," I warned, swiveling my head sharply to meet her gaze once again. "You were quick to assume that I was powerless. Did it ever occur to you that I had abilities that I didn't want to use? I mean, ask Mrs. Hendrey—someone manipulated both fire and air while in her classroom. Do you know anyone who can control elements?" I raised my eyebrow at her and smiled, then continued, keeping my tone free of emotion. "Do you have any idea the power a child of a High Priestess and the leader of the High Council—a High Priest in his own right—holds? Both my mother and father are from founding families. Did you know that? Are they more powerful or just revered because they were here first? I haven't figured that out yet, so I guess Mrs. Hendrey could teach me something."