Chapter Forty-Four

"Want to go to the clearing?" I asked Calin as soon as we dropped Maible off at her house. After the excitement in WC-1, I was feeling antsy, and I didn't want to go straight to the Manor.

"I thought you didn't need help finding your calm anymore?" He darted his eyes to me, then back to the road.

"I don't, I just like it there." I shrugged. "It's pretty and makes me feel closer to my mom."

"Whatever you want," he said, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips as we continued the trip in silence.

Finally, Calin pulled the car to the side of the road and got out, rounding to the passenger side to open my door. I took his outstretched hand and we walked the path single file with him in front, his hand lagging to keep hold of mine. It was effortless and comfortable, and I didn't want to think about it for too long or I'd remember the discussion about the kiss, which would generate unnecessary tension. After the afternoon I'd had, I wanted a few hours of the calm this place—and Calin—induced. That was what felt necessary because I knew, without a doubt, that the next time I stepped into Mrs. Hendrey's class, answers were going to be demanded.

Maybe she'd told Mr. Corbin, who wouldn't hesitate to call Devland to say he finally had reason to expel me, though it would be too bad he'd never find proof.

"What are you thinking about?" Calin asked as we sat side-by-side on the edge of the cliff.

I watched the water of the lake ripple, feeling calm. "Just stuff."

"Like?"

"How did you get the packages I asked you to send to Briarville?" I asked instead of answering, not looking away from the water.

"Honestly?" He laughed, the sound light and adding to my peace. "My mom helped me do it. Don't worry, they weren't returned."

"And they were all sent?" I looked at him quickly, then back.

"Of course," he said, and I could feel him watching me. "Why do you ask?"

"Well..." I licked my lips. "You know how I was bragging that you were wrong about figureheads being discussed in WC-1?"

"Yeah."

"So, I was the one that was wrong about that. She brought it up yesterday."

"Did she name your mom or something?"

"Huh. Or something." I turned my head and looked him in the eyes. "She started by talking about the founding families. Did you know that my mom was originally from one and that her name was Fallamhain, not Fallyn?"

"Yeah, I—I knew that. My mom said she changed it after she left Devland."

"I figured as much." I had no clue why she never told me, and it made me feel as though I didn't know a part of my own self in a different way than how I'd felt when I'd had amnesia. It was more like my foundation had shifted, knowing a part of my life had been a lie.

"What else did Mrs. Hendrey say?" Calin asked when I fell silent.

"Our assignment this week is to learn about the High Priestess who passed away in Briarville and then write a blessing to honor her during the next full moon."

"I'm sorry?" Calin winced. "I honestly didn't think it'd be that in-depth, though I'm not surprised. I told you she was important to the community."

"Yeah." I nodded. "She was starting to pass around the book I made of memories that the guests at the circle we held for her shared. That's what I was trying to send back to Briarville, so I have no idea how she got ahold of it."