Chapter Thirty-One

"So, today we are going to take a step back and learn about the types of punishments the High Council uses when magic is improperly willed," Mrs. Hendrey told the class a half hour later. "In light of our last lesson's turn of conversation, it seems wise that you all understand that if you cast spells with ill intent, there will be consequences."

"If you are caught." I smiled at Mrs. Hendrey, seriously just trying to add a fact rather than correct her. I was happy she'd seemed to think about what she was going to teach and had even added to the syllabus.

"True." Mrs. Hendrey nodded at me and then looked back to the class. "If you are caught using magic improperly, the High Council may enforce a number of consequences. This could be as simple as having to be trained again or having a probation period implemented in which your activities are monitored.

"For repeat or serious offenders, there are two main forms of punishment that are implemented: binding and stripping power," she said, pressing her lips into a straight line. "When the Council binds someone's power, it is temporary. They do this if they believe there is a chance that person will earn the right to use magic again or they've been punished with a time of no magic, sort of like the government would suspend a driver's license when someone has accumulated too many demerits due to the frequency of their speeding habits."

"So not because someone wants to be bound, or they have too much power to control it?" I asked.

"You can petition to be bound, sure." She nodded. "But usually a powerful user will simply receive extra training unless they pose a danger to themselves or to others."

"And only the Council can bind or strip power?"

"That's right."

"When does the Council strip someone's power?"

"When all rehabilitation attempts are exhausted or the user has caused harm to others," she said.

I leaned forward, resting my forearms on my desk. "So, if the pranks I heard about were pulled using magic, then the prankster would have their powers stripped?"

"Not necessarily." Mrs. Hendrey shook her head and licked her lips. "The pranks caused property damage and not bodily injury, so the Council may impose a probation period or further tutelage, especially if a student is responsible."

"So it's like juvie?" some student behind me shouted and the rest of the class laughed.

"Exactly!" Mrs. Hendrey laughed. "Obviously, youth would have a lesser penalty than adults because they still have a lot of potential, as well as they are easier to train and may not understand the consequences of what they've done."

Not to mention a lot of youth don't even trigger their power until adolescence, so they are just learning. Literally. Rather than saying this and being antagonistic, I asked, "So, what is involved in doing this?"

"Excuse me?"

"You said the Council binds or strips powers. How?"

"That is not something taught to students. Only the Council can do this, and only when combining their powers."

"Okay. Is it reversible?"

"Binding is temporary."

"Stripping powers, I mean. Can it be reversed?"

"No. It's never been done," Mrs. Hendrey said. "The Council will only strip someone of their powers if they are positive of that person's crime."

"There's never been an error? They must drain a lot of energy keeping people bound," I said, trying to sound conversational like the answer didn't matter. My mom had used a lot of energy keeping me bound, though. Would she have been strong enough to live if she hadn't?