Chapter Forty-Five

"Nora!"

I rolled over and threw my arm around Onyx at my side, trying to stay in the happy dream I'd fallen into. I was with my mother and we were in the backyard of our home in Briarville, having a picnic. The dogs were chasing each other, yipping and dancing, their tongues hanging out of their mouths as though they were smiling. It reminded me so much of the day that Opal and Onyx had first come home, I didn't want it to stop.

"Nora!"

Groaning, I mumbled for whoever was yelling at me to go away.

"Come on, Nora!"

Bang, bang, bang!

The screaming grew louder, frustrated, and I sat up abruptly, blinking the sleep out of my eyes.

"Nora!"

Oh, no. I looked at my alarm clock and groaned. This isn't happening.

Throwing the covers off, I ran across my bedroom and into the sitting room, feeling the panic oversleeping in for school set in. To make it worse, I recognized the voice screaming for my attention, and there was no way that I wanted Calin to see me in all my groggy gloriousness. I tried patting my hair into place but knew it was useless. I could feel the nests that were waiting for a brush to put them back into order.

"Nora! Come on! We're going to be late!"

I stopped a foot away from the door, my mouth parting as my body froze. For a long time, I'd kept a barrier up to keep Miss Rose out. It only allowed someone who was related to me by blood through. When Calin started making the Manor a second home, I took it down so that he wouldn't be restricted. Last night after my bath, I'd erected the barrier and my shield again, feeling vulnerable after speaking with Zach.

"Nora, are you even awake?"

"Uh..." I cleared my throat and leaned forward from the waist towards the door, hesitant. "Yes."

"Are you coming out? Why can't I get in?"

"A spell?"

"What?"

"I put a spell up so only someone related to me can enter."

A tickling sensation once again came over me, and I felt Calin trying to get in. He was using magic to try to counteract what I'd done, only he wasn't going to be able to override it. My magic was stronger. It was powerful enough to sense his, and I realized as another wave of energy passed over me that I recognized his signature.

From the pipes, before I'd lost my memory.

I took a step forward and rested my head against the door, squeezing my eyes shut as I sucked in a deep breath. The sensation grew stronger the closer I got. "Uh, I'm not feeling so well, Calin."

"What's wrong?"

"Just... Uh, supper isn't sitting well from last night," I said, barely above a whisper. "Can you ask Devland to excuse me? I, uh, don't think I can go to school today."

"Let me in, Nora."

"Oh, no. You don't want to see this."

"I don't care what you look like."

"I do." I sighed, keeping my voice low. "Please? I'm going to go back to bed. I should be fine by tomorrow."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded, then realized he couldn't see me through the door. "Yes."

There was a pause, then Calin said, "Okay. I'll tell Devland to excuse you but call me if you need anything, okay?"