Chapter Thirty-Three

My cramps began to clench my stomach again during the early pre-dawn hours as the night began to fade, and dusk was at its infancy. I gave up any pretense of getting a good night's sleep an hour before my bedside clock sounded its alarm. I ate the soda crackers that Mrs. Renaldi had left on my nightstand to ease the queasiness that threatened to overtake my senses before chancing any movement.

The pain slowly eased, and I was able to set aside the unease that had gripped me. I sat up in bed and read through the book I'd brought up from the library. Skimming through it as quickly as I could, I found nothing to help with my original endeavor. On the last page of the last chapter, however, I found an entry that explained how to strip a person's abilities. It had been what I'd wanted, and I found myself continuously returning to the passage.

If I stripped my powers, I wouldn't have to beg to be bound or have cramps other than that caused by Mother Nature.

I had spent so much time wishing for it, I was surprised to find I felt a sense of loss—panic, even—at the idea of losing my abilities. A constant niggle at the back of my mind told me it wasn't what I needed, and I set the book aside and began to get ready for school.

The one thing I did know was that today was going to suck.

I dressed for comfort, making sure that nothing felt restrictive around my midsection. Anything else made my stomach churn. I wore pale blue yoga pants, a navy hoody, and threw my hair in a high ponytail with strands of hair left free to hide my ever-present grimace. All I had to do was remember the cramps could be worse and I should be grateful nobody died.

"Nora!" Mrs. Renaldi called up the stairs as I closed my bedroom door. "You're going to be late for school!"

"I'm right here," I said barely above a whisper as I gripped the banister so I wouldn't fall.

"Oh..." Mrs. Renaldi narrowed her gaze. "Are you feeling okay?"

"I thought you said you felt better?" Calin asked beside her, watching me.

"Just sore." I winced, trying to smile. "It'll be fine, really. Just need to run and work it out or something."

"Do you want to stay home?" she asked, stepping forward to put her hand on my forehead as I reached the bottom step. "I can make you some soup."

"I'm fine, and I'm not hungry."

"You need breakfast."

"Not today."

"You have to eat before school," she ordered.

"I'm not hungry," I repeated, just as firmly. "If you try to force me to eat, I won't feel well enough to go to school."

"If you don't eat, you won't be going to school."

"I have crackers, Mrs. Renaldi." I zipped open my bag and showed her the packets I was bringing with me. "Plus, I was going to stop and get some Ginger Ale. I should be fine by lunch, okay? I promise that I will eat lunch or come home."

"Be sure that you do," she clucked as she headed back into the kitchen.

"Thank you!"

"Calin, you watch out for her!" Mrs. Renadli waved backward over her shoulder as she disappeared.

"You bet I will," he said, though it was quiet, and I doubted that she'd heard him.

I momentarily thought that if I stayed home, I could avoid whatever was going to happen. I wouldn't be blamed, either. But if I crawled back into bed and something did happen, how would I be able to look in the mirror with a clear conscious? Devland, for one, had pointed out the connection to my mother's cramps. He would know I knew and did nothing. Just the fact that I had warnings about bad things happening would likely reaffirm my abilities in his eyes. Plus, I didn't want him to think I was a coward. Powerless, sure, but not a coward.