Chapter Fifty-One

Coming to the clearing was the stillest part of my day. From the moment I woke until we arrived here, I felt like I had been holding my breath. The day was a blur, and I could barely believe that I had let everything go in front of the students in the tower. The adrenaline that had taken me over at the moment was beginning to dwindle. Regret started to seep in, though I continued to try to push it out of mind because of the simple fact that it had to be done.

Duvessa, Mr. Corbin, Mrs. Hendrey, and Devland needed to be taken to task.

"You okay?" Calin asked, coming up behind me and whispering in my ear.

I looked over my shoulder at Maible, who was stoking the fire that I'd lit when we arrived at the clearing, and I watched her for a moment. Turning back to face the lake from where I stood on the edge of the cliff, I sighed, leaning back to rest my head against Calin's chest. His hand circled around to my midriff, resting comfortably.

"I've had better days," I finally said.

"You've had a busy day." His chin rested on my shoulder. "Want to talk about it?"

"Hmm?"

"Well, I thought you didn't want to let anyone know about your abilities."

"Yeah, that was the plan, wasn't it?" I laughed, though it wasn't cheerful. I was too tired and felt more like having a nap than fulfilling the promise that I'd made to Duvessa, though I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about the memorized spell until it was put to use. I had to do it before the end of the day; otherwise, nobody would believe in anything I threatened again.

Calin stood straighter and placed his hands on my shoulders, gently turning me so that I faced him. Lifting one hand, he placed his finger under my chin and lifted my head so that I was looking him the eye. "It's okay to doubt yourself, Nora. That was a lot to deal with all at once."

I nodded, casting my eyes down. "There's a lot that needs to be cleaned up around here."

"I know."

"I can't be distracted if I'm going to be the one to fix things. Obviously, Devland can't be bothered." I sighed. "I need some time to figure that out. Alone."

He started to nod, then shook his head. "Nora, I'm not going anywhere, so you might as well get used to my help."

"Calin, I—"

He pulled me closer into a hug, sliding his hands around my waist. "Shh. I don't want to discuss it right now. Not until you have a few days to think things through, okay?"

"I am trying to talk, Calin."

His chest rumbled under my cheek as he laughed. "Sorry. Go ahead."

"I was trying to say that I need a little time right now, as in an hour or two so that I can think things out." I laughed, this time with a little more cheer. "I promise I'm not telling you to take a hike again."

"Good," he said, leaning down until our breath mingled.

I stretched up, bringing myself up onto my toes, all the while keeping eye contact with Calin. He'd said before that he'd wanted to see who would break first. After the day we'd had and the lull I felt my body going into, I couldn't stand around relaxing with Calin. No, I needed something that would jolt my system into waking back up. I needed energy. Being held by Calin induced the opposite.

Without letting myself think it over, I grabbed his face and kissed Calin. It was quick and hard, and I saw his eyes grow wide as I started to close mine. It only lasted for a few seconds, but I felt my blood start pumping again, my energy spike.