Menial Work

"Rise and shine." I prodded the sleeping lump on my couch. It moved and a disheveled Loki glared at me.

"What time is it?" He growled, attempting to roll over and go back to sleep. 

"Six. And we're burning daylight, so come on." I replied, grabbing the blanket he was wrapped in and yanked it off him. Rolling off the couch, he grunted as he hit the hard wood floor with a dull thud. 

"There some coffee and a few pieces of bacon left." I said over my shoulder as I walked out the door, "Grab it and follow me." 

Ten minutes later, a very cranky Loki found me chopping wood by one of the few sheds on my property. He watched me raise the ax, swing, and cleave chunks of wood into smaller bits. After allowing him to watch for a good minute, I stopped and held out the ax to him.

"You don't expect me to do such menial work?" He looked at me like I was crazy.

"You can either do this or check the trot lines. Your choice." I retorted. Loki stood there for a moment, then took the ax from me. Without another word, I disappeared into the woods, hearing him grumble as he took my place chopping. 

I came back a little after noon, a couple rabbits tied to my belt. Loki was stacking the last of the wood on the large pile of chopped firewood, still as cranky as I had left him this morning. 

"Is that everything?" He asked, turning to me. I held up the rabbits, raising an eyebrow. 

"Weed the vegetable garden or help me skin these. You choose." I replied bluntly. Grumbling once again, he stormed off towards the small fenced in patch where I grew my vegetables and herbs. 

Around four in the afternoon, I went to check on him. If looks could kill. Loki glared at me, a streak of mud on his cheek. 

"Looks good," I said, peering at my garden, "Ready for dinner?" Wordlessly, he got up and followed me into the house. Before I had woken him up that morning, I had put a roast and some potatoes in the crock pot to cook while we worked. It made the cabin smell wonderful. 

"You do this every day?" Loki asked as I handed him a bowl of food. Ladling out my own, I nodded. 

"Some days I hunt or fish," I said, "Others I do repair work around the property." I opened my mouth to tell him more, but I heard a squawking noise coming from the chicken house behind the cabin. 

"Stay here." I told Loki, my wings unfurling. I ducked outside and crept around back.

Peeking around the side of the cabin, I saw a deer wandering close to the chicken coop. Odd, deer didn't come into the yard often. I peered intently at it as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. It was stumbling along, drooling, and listless. Wasting disease.

I stepped forward, hoping to scare it off. Sensing me, the deer lowered his head, antlers pointed at me and swayed drunkenly. 

"Go on, get." I shooed, taking another step towards it. Wasting disease normally made animals even more fearful and skittish. Instead, this deer bolted knocking me flat. One antler prong embedded in my shoulder, breaking off as the deranged beast barrel right through me and into the darkness. 

"Fuck!" I swore, grabbing the antler chunk. I was so intent on trying to figure out the extent of the damage, I jumped as a hand touched my elbow. Loki stood over me, pale in the black night. He held out a hand and I took it with my good arm, allowing him to pull me to my feet. 

Swearing under my breath, I stormed back inside the cabin, Loki at my heels. I went into the small bathroom where I could see the damage better. I hissed at the sight. It would need stitches. I opened the cabinet above the sink and grabbed some heavy thread and a needle.

"Grab the bottle of whiskey above the stove, would you?" I asked Loki, who stood in the door way. With a mute nod, he disappeared only to return a second later with the bottle of Jack Daniels. I took it from him and drank several shots straight from the bottle. 

"You need a doctor, not alcohol." He stated, taking the bottle from me.

"That's not an option." I replied, gripping the antler chunk. Taking a deep breath, I yanked it out of my shoulder. Pain lanced through my entire body so hard my knees buckled. I dropped the antler and grabbed the sink to keep myself from falling down. At once, Loki had grabbed me, easing me to the tile floor. 

Blood seeped from my wound as I looked at the mess. Swearing some more, I pulled at my shirt, ripping it away from my shoulder. Loki reached out to touch it, but stopped when I snarled at him, eyes dissolving into black. 

"Don't touch me!" I hissed. 

"You won't let a doctor touch you and you're in a useless position to fix yourself." He retorted flatly, "Let me help you." Before I could reply, he had pressed his palm against the wound. I howled in pain at the touch, but right as I was about to take a swing at him with my good hand, something began to happen. 

The pain was ebbing away. A strange tingling went through my shoulder and when I looked down, the wound had sealed. Only blood remained. 

"How...?" I muttered, raising an eyebrow. Loki just shrugged. 

"Magic," Was all he said as he helped me to my feet.