Chapter 6

(unedited)

Bikers, Chains and Bad Boys: Chapter 6

The rest of the day – scratch that – the next few days dragged like a turtle in mud. When Friday rolled around again, I was more than ready for some free time. Just to relieve some stress, I ran an extra three miles and took my time to enjoy the town around me. By the time I made it back home, it was over an hour later than I normally got back home after morning runs. The smell of coffee assaulted my nose as soon as I stepped in the door.

"Hey, Dad." I sighed, making my way into the kitchen. He was standing at the stove, an ominous popping and crackling sound coming from the pan in front of him. I grabbed a glass of water and leaned against the counter, watching him. He wasn't exactly a chef, and I could already catch the faint scent of burn in the air.

"Hey, kiddo." He strolled to the fridge and rummaged around as I made my way to the table and sat down, tossing my feet up on the chair next to me.

"What are you doing?" He paused, turning to look at me with a lifted brow and gestured with his hands at the counter and stove.

"It's the fourth of July. I'm making a red, white and blue breakfast like I do every year." He grabbed something and went back to the stove. "Are you watching the parade? They're having games and food at the park in the middle of town."

"I forgot it was the fourth. You want to go with me?"

"I would, pumpkin, but I have a ton of stuff to catch up on now that I finally have a day off."

"Oh, okay." I stood. "I'm gonna jump in the shower." I was starting to get sticky from the drying sweat all over me.

"Don't you have those friends from work? Why don't you see if they're going?" He looked at me sympathetically. I didn't want him to feel bad.

"Yeah, maybe I will." I smiled. I may be an adult, but I still enjoy spending the day out with my father sometimes. But, I'm also an adult who knows what it's like to have a ton of shit to do. I mean, he does work seven days a week. I made my way over to him. "Dad, you know you could always just leave me a note and I can do whatever you need done for you." I kissed his cheek and turned to head upstairs.

"I know, honey," He said. "but it makes me feel bad."

I turned back to smile at him. "Don't feel bad, Dad. I want to." I made my way down the hall to the stairs. "Yell when it's ready, please!"

After a nice, hot shower, I made my way back to the kitchen and enjoyed breakfast with Dad. By the time we finished it was almost time for the town parade to start. We headed out to our bikes, said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways.

The streets up town were getting crowded with people. It was easier to navigate through the crowds of people with my bike, but I was going so slow at one point I was walking my bike rather than riding it. Once I cleared the initial horde, I spotted the shop and figured I would at least know the general area I'd parked, even if I didn't know the street name. I hadn't been to any community events yet, so I had no idea what to expect and figured I'd just start at the closest corner and make my way around. I would've texted one of the guys from work, but I figured they were spending time with their families and I didn't want to interrupt.

As I meandered around, I caught sight of a booth on the other side of the park selling bourbon street chicken and made a mental note to stop by later and give it a try. I walked around a few more minutes before I heard music coming from the stage in the center of the park and people started guiding their children toward the streets. The parade was starting.