Chapter 13

(unedited)

Bikers, Chains and Bad Boys: Chapter 13

I slid painfully across the asphalt and into the grassy ditch. Rocks and pebbles dug into any exposed flesh they could find, and I felt the stinging pain of road rash through my now torn jeans. A blinding pain shot through my left shoulder as I rolled, and I could feel the right sleeve and back of the jacket I borrowed from Corey had been torn. I heard more metal crashing and crunching against the asphalt and pained shouts as I skidded to a halt in the grass of the ditch. Everything hurt, all at once, and I hissed through my teeth.

I panted, scrunching my eyes together as I pressed my forehead into the cold grass. Sucking in a quick breath, I flipped onto my back, gasping as I rolled over my left shoulder. Something was definitely wrong with it. As I panted, staring painfully at the black sky, the pain eventually was replaced by fear and rushing adrenaline. My heartbeat spiked tremendously as I sat up, looking around. My bike was off to one side of the road about fifty feet away, torn apart. I could only dwell on its destruction for a moment, though, because my eyes quickly caught sight of Dave a few hundred feet away, sitting up in front of his bike and Snake was a little further down, but looked like he was about to stand up.

Fear shot through my heart and sent me into overdrive. The adrenaline coursing through me pushed me to stand quickly and holding onto my arm, I trudged back up onto the pavement, breathing heavily. Dave suddenly turned, throwing me a sinister smile as he stood and turned toward me. I didn't think. I just did.

Turning sharply on my heel, I took off like a bullet, putting every ounce of energy I had into propelling me back to the party. I pushed every sharp pain I felt to the back of my mind and began sprinting down the road, listening as they got to their feet and tried to pick up their bikes.

I sent so many thanks to whatever deity was up there that I still hadn't heard a bike start as I tore down the road. But it didn't last long when I heard one of them successfully force it to life. My eyes caught onto something coming toward me, quickly. A headlight shined in my face, coming at me quickly. Someone on a bike was heading for me and skidded sideways to a stop in front of me, eyes scanning me and looking at the scene behind me. Treasurer his cut said. I stopped, panting in pain and cradling my arm against me as I looked at him. He seemed to be in his late twenties or early thirties. He was fit, with light brown hair and a trimmed beard. Brown eyes stared at me and I looked at him warily, weighing my options.

"Come on, it's not hard to decide what your safest option is here." He shouted; feet planted on each side of his bike to stabilize it. He was right. I shuffled over to him quickly, painfully crawling onto the bike behind him. He sat back a little, careful not to hurt me.

"Hold on tight!" He shouted back. I tucked my left arm between us and wound my right arm around his stomach as he took off back toward the clubhouse. He pulled his phone out and began shouting into it as we sped back. I took the few minutes before we got back to lay my forehead between his shoulder blades, listening for any sign or sound of a bike following us.

The gate was yanked back as we came up on it. I winced as we hit a bump coming into the parking lot and grimaced as we came to a stop. I sat there for a moment, panting with my head bowed against his back and my fists clenched. The dogs were going crazy in their kennels, Sarge trying to claw his way through the fence. After a second, I pulled my head up and let it fall back as I sighed a pain-filled breath.

"Do you need help getting off my bike?" He turned his head toward me, looking at me in concern. I shook my head a little, looking at him and taking in a big breath to hold. I slid off the bike slowly, clutching his shoulder as I blew out the breath through my gritted teeth. Cradling my arm against me, I stood on unsteady legs. My right buckled for a second before he shot a hand out and helped steady me.