Chapter 2

(unedited)

Bikers, Chains and Bad Boys: Chapter 2

Later on that night, I was putting on the new brake calipers I'd gotten from Andy's. Andy turned out to be the man who offered me the job and, thankfully, knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked for the calipers.

I was just finishing up when Dad leaned out the door in the garage that lead to the kitchen. "I'm heading to work. Your plate's in the microwave." He said.

"Okay. Thanks, Dad." I replied, sending him a smile.

"Sure. Did you get it fixed?"

"Got the new brake calipers on," I sighed. "But he needs a bit more work before he's ready." I stood up, wiping my hands on a shop towel and making my way towards the work bench up against the wall. "Oh, hey, I forgot to tell you something. When I went to get the parts, the guy that owns the shop offered me a job." I said, turning to smile up at him.

He looked surprised. "Really? How'd you manage that?"

"Apparently, this guy, Paul, had been working on a bike and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. So, I walked over, did my thing, and wah-lah. Apparently the owner saw me and he said the guy had been working on it for two weeks and I fixed it in thirty seconds." I ended my story with a laugh. My dad chuckled, shaking his head.

"Well, good for you, sweetheart. When do you start?"

"Tomorrow morning at nine A.M."

"Good. Well, I'm off. Have a good night and I might have to work over so if I don't see you in the morning, have a good first day at work." He smiled. I walked over to hug him and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"You, too, Dad. And thanks. I love you."

"Love you, too, sweetheart."

I made my way back to the work bench as my dad got in his car and drove away. Since it was already ten, I cleaned up the garage and put my things away before heading into the house. Tomorrow was my first day at the shop so I wanted to get some good sleep tonight. I ate my dinner, showered and headed for bed.

~*~

The next morning, I was up at five, ran five miles and made it back in time to shower and whip up breakfast for Dad and I.

"Hey, sweetheart." My dad said as he walked into the kitchen. He kissed the side of my head and leaned over my shoulder, sniffing the food I was plating for us. "Are one of those for me?"

"Yes, sir." I replied, handing him one of the plates. He took it and turned toward the table. "I'll get you a cup of coffee."

"Thanks."

"Sure."

"You heading out after this?" He mumbled around a bite of eggs.

"After I make your lunch, yes. It'll be in the fridge like usual." I said, taking a bite of my own food.

"You don't have to make me lunch everyday, sweetheart. I can do it." He said.

"It's okay, Dad. I like making you lunch."

He smiled gratefully at me and I gave him one in return. We finished our meals in comfortable silence. When Dad was done, he stood up and went to place his plate in the sink. He kissed the side of my head again and mumbled a good night and good luck before heading to his room.