Chapter 9

(unedited)

Bikers, Chains and Bad Boys: Chapter 9

I'd spent the last two days constantly looking over my shoulder, afraid they were following me. Afraid I was being watched. It was exhausting. I was attempting to focus on my work, trying to think of anything but those guys coming after me. My arm throbbed again, as if I needed a reminder that it was there. I sighed, grimacing as I pulled away the gauze to clean it up and redress it.

I heard Dad in the kitchen as I made my way down the stairs. When I rounded the corner and stepped in, I saw Dad seated at the table munching on a piece of coffee cake. "Hey, Dad. How was your night?" He swallowed and sipped his drink.

"Not too bad. How have you been, sweetheart? We don't get to talk much these days." I sighed, taking a seat next to him.

"I know, I'm sorry, Dad. I've been decent, I guess. Are you off work Friday?" I made my way to the fridge to grab a bottle of water.

"Unfortunately, I'm not, honey. Two other people in my department already scheduled it off, so I'm out of luck." He polished off his piece of cake, slurped down the rest of his drink and stood to put them in the sink.

"Well, I'm going to talk to Andy to see if I can switch days with someone so I can at least take you out to lunch for your birthday."

"You don't have to do that, hon."

"I want to, Dad." He stopped next to me.

"Have a good day at work." I smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Night, Dad." He headed for the door to the hallway that led to his bedroom and I headed out the door to work.

"Harley, come here when you're done with that bike!" Andy called from his office. I finished tightening the nuts on the tire I was changing. Grabbing the keys, I wheeled it to a spot outside the door, propped it on its stand and made my way to the small room we used as a lobby.

"Brodney Thomas." I read off the work order in my hand. My eyes caught the man who stood up and made his way to me. It was the bartender. I bit my lips to hide a smile and raised a brow at him. "No wonder you go by Brody."

"Oh, ha-ha." He laughed sarcastically and pulled a face at me, snatching the keys out of my hand.

"Nice bike!" I called, a smile slipping on my face. I chuckled when he ignored me and made my way back through the shop floor to Andy's office, knocking on the door a few times.

"You called?" He motioned with his hand for me to come in and close the door. I took a seat in the chair across from him.

"I got compliments on your work on the blue bike from a couple days ago." I raised my brows in surprise as I remembered who rode away on that back a few nights ago. "They've requested that you, and only you, work on their bike from now on. They said it's never ridden smoother the whole time they've owned it." I got nervous at first, but I felt a little pride swell within me at the last part.

"Really?" I didn't know what to think.

"Congratulations, you've got your first lifer." He chuckled at my confused expression and explained that a lifer was just a loyal lifetime customer. I smiled. "You should be proud of yourself. He's a difficult man to please and you seem to have passed with flying colors."