Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11-

Mike and I drove up to my grandparents' house. My heart began to thump nervously, as a butterfly grew in my stomach.

My mom's mom and step-dad's house had two floors, the downstairs for storage, and the top floor for the living space. The house sat on fat stilts to keep the rising water out during flood season. Every room in the house had windows and a homely feel.

As we walked up the wooden stairs, I saw the cat skitter out of sight, not liking to meet new people. The wooden door had been lathered with polyurethane years before, and the gloss still shone clearly. I opened the screen door and hollered a hello, something everyone did in this family.

I turned to Mike who stood tall in the doorway. The floor creaked as my grandpa came into the kitchen, with his binoculars in his hand.

"Raven, I wanna show you something."

Mike followed behind me, and my elder into the sun room, where the windows let in the bright sunlight. My grandpa gave me the binoculars, and pointed to a group of white birds floating in the cool water. I took a closer look to find out that the white birds were Swans. Smiling back at Mike I beckoned him over, showing him the beautiful beings.

"I see the Swans decided to visit again."

I left the windows and went over to my grandmother, hugging her gently, feeling like she would crumble to pieces if I hugged her hard enough.

"How are you grandma?"

"I'm okay sweetie. How are you handling things?"

"I think I saw her before the funeral, mom I mean. I woke up before Mike, and I heard the song she use to hum to me when I was younger."

My grandmother smiled softly and nodded her head, patting me on my shoulder and telling me it happens to people who are grieving. We turned to my grandfather and Mike, seeing my grandpa clutch Mike's shoulder with a smile and a handshake.

"Well, since we are all done here, why don't we go get some breakfast. Raven, that old breakfast place you like so much is still open." I nodded, and followed the elders out of the room, and back into the kitchen to wait for them to get their things.

Mike took my hand in his and pulled me into a hug, looking up at him I saw love written on his face. He leaned in to kiss me and there was a soft "Aw" sound from the hall. I looked over to see my grandparents looking at Mike and I, they looked like they were watching puppies or something. I blushed, telling them we should get going before all the pancake batter was gone, which earned laughs from everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike and Pop were talking about cars and work, while Grams and I talked about how boxes I would need to move in with Mike. Though I had half expected my grandparents to disagree with the whole idea, they both seemed thrilled for me.

"So tomorrow you and I can go around town to look for boxes. Then if you want, we can do a little clothes shopping and have lunch. How's that sound?" I nodded my head as my grandmother spoke, finding the waffles and pancake syrup on my plate more interesting.

Mike looked over to me, as I turned to him, he was so handsome in his grey suit. His dark skin clashed with the material, and his tie matched my black attire. The grip on my hand squeezed gently, if there was anyone that could help me through this, it would be Mike.

My grandfather re-buttoned the top button on his shirt and stretched, draping an arm over grandma's shoulders. She smiled and pecked his cheek, I wondered if that's the same look that Mike and Me share.

Pops and Grams' attention turned back to Mike and I, I could see that a thought had popped into my grandmother's head. 

"So, your grandfather and I have been thinking about keeping the house, instead of selling it." 

I felt my eyebrow raise as she paused, "I mean, it's already paid for, and you'll be going to college soon..." She didn't finish her sentence, she didn't need to, I knew where she was going with it.

"I guess it would be better to live off-campus when I got to college. It would cost less, and it isn't too far from town." I looked over to Mike who was deep in thought.

"You don't have to make a decision now, you have a year or two to think about it." My grandfather smiled and patted my free hand with his.

The waiter interrupted us with the bill, he was tall and had a nice smile, but he didn't compare to Mike. The waiter wished us a good afternoon, and went to check on his other tables as we got ready to leave.

Mike and I split up from my grandparents with a promise to look for boxes the next day, so I could go ahead and get settled in a new place. Mike hummed along with the song on the radio, while I slowly pried my sore feet from the dangerous heels.

Mike pulled up to the house and rushed to my side, not letting my feet hit the ground. He carried me into the living room and onto the pull-out couch. I slowly pulled my pantie-hoes down my legs, and kicked them away, loving how the cool air pricked at my hot legs. Mike had taken off his jacket and had wrapped his warm arms around my torso tightly, making me smile as my fingers worked through the tie's knot.

I draped the tie across the arm of the couch, turning back to Mike in time to be thrown over his shoulder. I squealed and kicked my feet, laughing as Mike picked through our bags for a set of clothes. Satisfied with what he found, he walked back over to the pull-out bed, and sat me down on the firm mattress.

Mike smothered my lips in an instant, helping me wiggle out of my dress as he pulled it up and over my head, tossing it to the floor. His warm hands covered my lower back and hip, warming my cold skin where ever they went.

I unbuttoned his shirt, and pushed it off his shoulders, feeling him shiver under my cold touch.

Mike's lips moved from my lips and across my jaw, moving slowly down my neck to my collarbone. I bit my bottom lip and threaded my fingers through his hair, almost gasping when his teeth hit my sensitive spot.

He began to suck on my neck softly as his fingers moved under the waistband of my underwear, feeling his warm fingers on the top of my butt.

My fingers moved down his chest, as his lips connected with mine. I unbuckled his belt and unzipped his slacks as his tongue plunged through my lips.

I pushed Mike's pants down, and he pulled me tight to his chest, his hands were scoping my body slowly, as our lips moved in sync.

Our kisses began to slow down as our muscles started to unclench from their tight holds. I pulled away from Mike a little ways, and looked at him, pecking his lips quickly and grabbing the clothes Mike had got out of my bag.

We crawled under the blankets as a movie began to play on the T.V. I could barely keep my eyes open as the opening credits sprawled across the bright screen.

As the darkness of sleep overcame me, I heard Mike whisper a soft 

"I love you."

I tried my best to murmur a reply back, but sleep was too quick and it covered my brain.

A/N~ Thanks again soooo much Ellen for editing this for me!!! You're the best!!