Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter 21

Raven's POV-

I looked at myself in the rounded mirror in front of me. My white dress hung delicately from my cleavage as my hair was being done into a loosely-curled bun.

I sighed at myself in the mirror. Never in my twenty-eight years did I ever imagine me standing with something blue, something burrowed, something old and something new.

There was a knock at the door and my head snapped up, much to my hairdresser's dismay as she sprayed my hair down with hairspray.

Katherine, in her silver and gold dress, opened the door to my parents. My dad was on the verge of tears as my step mother invited herself in, throwing her arms around my neck, trying her best not to smear my make-up.

She withdrew from me and carefully put her hands on either side of my face, trying not to cry herself.

"You look so beautiful hunny." Katherine smiled and nodded, handing me my burrowed sash to tie around my waist.

I looked past my step mom to my dad, who was still blubbering in the doorway.

"Come here, Dad. I'm not going to disappear." A small smile appeared on my dad's face as he chuckled.

There was another knock on the door as my dad brought me into his arms, hugging me tightly.

"Bridesmaids, you are needed downstairs." Mike's father stood at the door and chuckled, winking at me before disappearing again.

Katherine handed me my shoes, white and tinted in blue, as she and the other girls headed out the door.

I wiped my dad's tears from his face and kissed his cheek.

"Here. Your mother and grandmother wanted you to wear this on your wedding day." In my dad's hand, was a small necklace. Against his pale hand, it shimmered as he moved to place it around my neck.

Coming back into view, he wiped the lingering tears from my face, and kissed my forehead, bracing me so I could put my shoes on.

There was another knock on the door as Taylor walked in, her own silver dress shined against the bright lights coming from the mirror. I hugged her tightly and kissed her, she was just as tall as I am, getting her long legs from our mother.

"Are you ready?" I nodded my head to her, and she beamed brightly, walking back out in the hallway and handing me my gold and silver bouquet, as dad joined arms with me.

I could hear the piano from down the wooden stairs, seeing the last bridesmaid walk off the stairs, my father, my little sister and myself, started our slow decline into the wooden wonderland of light.

I neared the last step and faltered, varied sizes of balls of light hung from the ceiling, creating a fantasy atmosphere. People from Mike and I's past stood in front of me, in colors that varied so greatly, I hadn't known they even existed!

Over by the entrance was a bowl of medium sized rocks, each one with signed names of blessings and prayers. Behind that, was a table full of gifts that gleamed under the sudden burst of light at the alter.

Turning to the light, I let my eyes adjust as I walked down the isle towards the groom.

He stood in his black and white tuxedo, putting everyone around him to shame as my eyes were only for him.

He wore a smile that I couldn't look away from, and his eyes glowed with happiness as I neared him with every step.

My father stopped me, turning me to him and hugging me tightly and kissing my cheek before letting me go. Handing my hand to the awaiting groom, to be his for eternity.

I ascended the small stairs and stood in front of mine and Mike's family and friends, barely hearing the priest in the background as he asked if anyone opposed our marriage. My heart sped up as I looked deep into Mike's eyes, we both wanted a life to each other.

Suddenly, the double-wooden doors was burst open, and a red-headed woman with smeared make-up, and torn clothes ran towards the alter. People stood from their chairs, gasping as a couple of built men grabbed the woman, towing her away as she screamed and clawed.

"I oppose!" The woman yelled out.

Our guests gasped and talked to themselves and their neighbours. My heart sped up, and pounded against my chest, as tears flooded my eyes and Mike's hand wrapped tighter around mine.

The priest's face was grave as he spoke up, "And who are you?"

The woman shimmied from the guards and stood tall, though one of her heels were broken, and her face looked like she had been crying for years.

"I am Rose DeLamm. And I disagree with their marriage because I still love Michael."

I gasped as a couple of tears slipped out of my eyes and Katherine quickly supplied a tissue, patting my back softly. I nodded her a small thanks and she tried to smile.

I looked at Austin across the isle, he had been Mike's best man, and he looked furious. His hands were balled into fists, and his arms looked like they were going to rip out of his tuxedo any second.

Mike took my face in his, and wiped my tears away, taking a step towards the beat-up Rose. "Rose, how can you say that when you haven't seen, talked, or heard from me for years! I made a point for you to never step into the sight of me or Raven, ever again!"

Rose looked to the floor and then around her, noticing that she had made a fool of herself, though it wouldn't be the first time. She opened her mouth to say something, but quickly closed it again. She shook her head, and slowly made her way out of the church, dragging her feet and limping pitifully.

Mike turned back to me, and took my face in his hands as everyone breathed a sigh of relief. "Raven Byrd, you mean so much more to me than I mean to myself. I love you far more than any past reference." People around us awed as the priest dabbed at the tears pouring from his beady eyes.

The priest finally put his handkerchief away and spoke up, "Well after that display and those few lines, by the power invested in me, do you Michael Roddick take Miss Raven Byrd, to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I absolutely do."

The priest turned to me and asked me the same thing. I gave him a simple nod and "I do" before James brought our rings to attention. His hair had turned jet black after he hit puberty, though his blue eyes were still bright with innocence, though it wouldn't last long.

Everyone cheered as Mike and I signed the marriage certificate. Mike leaned in and kissed me, making my world turn around us as I threw my arms around his neck, throwing the bouquet behind me, and hearing people cheer as Katherine caught it. I looked to Austin, and he tapped the side of his temple, he knew he would marry that girl, and I was happy for them.

I was swept off my feet as Mike removed the garter from my thigh and walk down the isle through the guests. Saying our goodbyes to our friends and family to attend our much awaited honeymoon.