Chapter 11

"I was on my way to the exit when I saw you." MJ said, finishing her story.

"You're lucky to be alive." Spider-Man said. MJ's face fell flat.

"Says the guy I saved five minutes ago." she replied. Then she turned to a nearby table where the file that she took were, and took the file. "Listen, whoever those mask guys are, they're after this file. But I'll never get it out of here while the place is swarming with them."

Spider-Man paused and said, "Right. You go hide back there and once I take out the bad guys, you make a break for it." he instructed.

"Sounds like a plan." MJ said, taking a few steps towards the door. But then she turned to look back. "Good to see you Pete." she added.

"Yeah, you too." Spider-Man said. "Not exactly how I pictured us meeting again though." he added.

"Funny. It's exactly how I pictured it." MJ said with a smile as she closed the door.

Spider-Man blinked for a moment as he stood at the empty space before him. He then thought to himself. 'Since Mera said that he wasn't interested, maybe......No focus Pete! You can think about that later.' he said to himself, before jumping up onto the wall.

"Alright Pete, I'm hidden. Give me the word and I'll make a break for it." MJ aid through his mask.

Apparently he never got rid of his number. Strange, since it was her  who broke things off with the two of them.

"Alright." Spider-Man replied. He then proceeded to take out the bad guys using the stealth mode he perfected earlier.

"What's in this file that these guys want so bad?" He asked.

"Notes on something called 'Devil's Breath.' Fisk was hired to build a secret research lab for it." MJ answered. "Not sure what it is, but whatever it is, it scared Fisk. He compared it to Pandora's box."

"Not much can scare Fisk. We gotta get you and the file out of here. Hang tight now." Spider-Man said. He took out the last of the remaining thugs in the room, when suddenly he heard something that made him stop dead in his tracks.

"No! Let me go!" came Mary Jane's voice. Spider-Man quickly sprung into action, breaking down the nearby door where the voice was coming from. He then saw one of the gunmen aiming their gun at a victim on the ground........That victim was Mary Jane.

"No!" Spider-Man yelled, quickly firing his webs and yanking away the guns from the gunmen in the room. He looked around for any sign of the file, since MJ didn't have it with her, but he couldn't see it. "Hide, now!" Spider-Man said to MJ, leaving him to deal with the masked thugs.

He then focused on the thugs. The nearest one came rushing towards him, but as he did, he saw that the thug's hand began to glow with a black substance. "Woah!" he said, avoiding the punch. He then saw another thug coming at him, with his hands glowing the same color. "What's with the glowing hands? Are you guys....ghosts?" he asked, avoiding the punch.

He then delivered a punch of his own to the goon and sent him flying. "Nope not a ghost. More of an energy thing, not a ghost thing." he said, as he focused on the rest of the masked thugs. He kicked two in the face, before webbing them and slamming them into the remaining masked thugs. He thought that was all of them when another masked thug came in.

This one was wielding a glowing staff. He slammed the staff to the ground and a whole bunch of dark energy erupted and shook the ground. Spider-Man had to do a back flip to avoid the blow. He shot a web at the thug and pulled himself to the thug. Within seconds the thugs was unconscious.