Chapter 21

Peter's phone rang yet again and the couple stopped in their tracks once again. "More interruptions! Geez can;t fate cut us a break for once?!" Peter exclaimed, pulling out his phone. Mera grumbled herself as she watched Peter whip out his phone. She was just as upset at their ruined moment as he was, and certainly did not appreciate being interrupted..........again.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"It's Officer Davis." Peter said in a surprised tone of voice. He answered the phone. "Hey Jeff. Congrats on the ceremony today!" he said.

"I'll be glad when it's over. A truck full of armed Demons scares me a lot less than public speaking. But I'm calling about something else." Davis replied.

"What's up?" he asked and he put it on speaker so that Mera could hear.

"Just got a tip that Demons are moving on the Fisk construction site in midtown." Davis explained. "My wife'll kill me if I ditch the ceremony to play cops and robbers, but I thought maybe my friendly neighborhood partner would want to know."

Peter looked up at Mera for confirmation of whether she wanted to join or not. When Mera nodded, Peter said, "Understood. I'll do a swing by and let you know what I find. And a tip for public speaking: just picture everyone in their underwear......Well not Mayor Osborn........you know what, never mind."

Officer Davis chuckled as he hung up, and Peter could see Mera struggling to hold in her laughter. "Go on and let it out." Peter said. Mera did just that, and laughed like a hyena.

"You are too funny Peter, you know that?" she asked.

"Eh, it's a gift." Peter shrugged.

"Let's get moving." Mera said with a serious face and threw her bag onto the floor to open it.

"I'm right there with you." Peter said, changing into his Spider-Man gear. Soon enough, they got into their clothes and were set to move. "Ready for another web swinging experience?" Spider-Man asked, extending his hand to Mera.

"Oh yes." Mera said, taking his hand. "Is this a date?" she asked.

Spider-Man looked at her for a moment and said as he got her on his back, "Yes and no. It's also business. But I'll also accept it as a date."

"Me too." Mera said. "Now let's go!"

"Hold on tight!" Spider-Man called and jumped from the center. The two swung from the city with enthusiasm and purpose. Even though Spider-Man couldn't see, he could still sense the smile coming from Mera's face as they swung from building to building.

Within a few minutes, the Fisk construction site was in sight and Spider-Man landed onto the wall of the neighboring building. "This is the place." he said, looking around.

"No sign of anything yet." Mera commented, just before gun shot were heard in the distance.

"Until now!" Spider-Man said, jumping towards the chaos. He then dialed Officer Davis again. "Jeff, I'm here." he said.

"What do you see?" Davis asked.

The two heroes saw two people carrying someone to another part of the building they were on. Looking closer, and sure enough, they were the Demons. "Looks like the Demons are moving in on Fisk's territory." Spider-Man said.

"You got this?" Davis asked.

"I've got this." Spider-Man said before he hung up. Then he looked back at Mera and added, "We've got this." Mera smiled at him in response, and he set off towards one of the Demon guards. "Let's take him down stealthily." Spider-Man said.