Chapter 35

Yuri called through Spider-Man's mask seconds after the couple made up. "I just got a call from the hospital. They said you went AWOL?" She asked.

"Gotta get back to work." Spider-man replied.

"The doctors said you still have 14 broken bones." Yuri said.

"Which means I have 192 non broken ones." Spider-Man replied. Even Mera was a little impressed by how well Spider-Man was handling himself. He was doing a much better job with Yuri than he did for her.

"Thanks for taking care of me." Spider-Man said.

"Your girlfriend would have probably killed us if we had refused." Yuri said jokingly. Mera only rolled her eyes in response. "The hard part was keeping you hidden from Sable. They've labeled you as a primary target you know?" She added.

Mera gritted her teeth. The more she heard about that vicious woman, the angrier that she had gotten. Now add on the fact that she is now ordering her guards to target her own boyfriend. She was about to blow a gasket.

"I am aware." Spider-Man said glumly. "And I humbly accept the honor." he added sarcastically. He then looked out towards the puffs of smoke erupting everywhere around the city and let out a small sigh. "What has happened to our city Yuri?" he asked in utter disbelief.

"I don't know." Yuri responded. "It feels like then end of the world....maybe it is." She wasn't wrong, for it did feel closer to oblivion than it ever has in his experience. But that doesn't mean he's gonna just put his head down and give up.

Spider-Man looked in Mera's direction, silently asking her if she wants to help him restore the city back to normal. Even though he was wearing his mask, Mera could see what it was he was trying to ask her. She nodded once with a determined look on her face.

"Mera and I are here to help." Spider-Man said into his mask.

"Great." Yuri said. "There are gangs of escaped prisoners banding together and taking over entire city blocks."

"We'll take care of them. What else?" Spider-Man said, preparing for more.

"The mayor told Silver Sable to do whatever it takes to find Li and Octavius. So she's just rounding up people indiscriminately, holding them captive in bases around the city. And I've even heard rumors of enhanced interrogation tactics." Yuri informed them.

Both Spider-Man and Mera looked at each other with scowls on their faces. "Torture." the both said simultaneously. Now he was sure that Mera was going to blow a gasket based on the look she received about Sable.

"Don't worry though. We're on it. This here is our city Yuri. Now it's time to take it back." Spider-Man said determined.

"Excellent. My men are tracking the super villains. Once we've made progress, I'll update you." Yuri said.

"On it. And in the meantime, Mera and I will work on trying to stabilize the city." Spider-Man said, before hanging up. He then turned to Mera, expecting the same scowl on her face due to Sable. But to his shock, and relief, she was actually giving him a look of admiration and love. "You know, I never expected you to keep being happy, even when things are rough. Though I love that about you." Spider-Man said to the Atlantean princess.

"You bring that out in me." Mera replied, walking up and cupping his cheek. "You're just so hot when you are determined." she added.

"I am always determined." Spider-Man said.

"Exactly." Mera replied with a wider smile. 

Spider-Man blushed under his mask. "Thanks." he said. "Now let's go, we've got a city to help." Mera nodded and summoned her water to make her cyclone again. The two jumped down from the building and started scanning the city for any prisoners or Sable camps.