Chapter 39

Peter and Mera decided to hang around the lab for a little bit after Peter was cured of the poison. They wanted a little break from hero work. They currently were sitting on the floor in Peter's quarters, leaning against each other.

"Peter?" Mera said after a few moments of silence.

"Yes?" he asked. Mera smiled to herself once he heard his voice free of pain. There was a point during that poisoning experience where a thought did drift into her mind of him not surviving the poison. But having him beside her now, she was just relishing every feature about him. His voice, his face, and his touch. All things she had almost lost just a few minutes ago.

"The second that we find Scorpion, I'm kicking his ass." Mera said with anger. Peter chuckled at his girlfriend's choice of words.

"Why so antsy?" he asked.

"Because he tortured you! And nobody tortures my love and gets away with it." Mera said in a proud and loud voice. "Now, the next time we see him, I'm gonna make him pay for it." she continued.

"I'm betting that you will. Unless of course......I get to him first." he replied, quirking a brow. Mera reciprocated his actions, but allowed a small grin to appear on her face.

"Well we'll just have to wait and see who gets to him first now won't we?" she asked, leaning more towards him to kiss his chin.

"What if we meet him at the same time?" Peter asked playfully.

"Well then I guess the two of us will have to kick his ass together." Mera said, still grinning.

"Spider-Man and Mera on pest control. Now that sounds entertaining." Peter said smirking.

Mera just continued to lean her head on Peter's shoulder, smiling in bliss. But as her thoughts wandered, she couldn't help but think about the possibility of Atlantis being revealed to the surface world, and now. 'Would this be all that much of a bad thing? Or could it be good? Or what if it's both?' she thought.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Peter asked Mera.

"What's a penny?" Mera asked.

"It's a form of money." Peter replied. "It's not very much at all. But it's money non the less."

"I see. Do you just want to know what I'm thinking?" Mera asked, slightly confused at Peter's question. Once Peter nodded, understatement registered in Mera's head. "I'm just thinking about revealing Atlantis to the rest of the world." she said.

"Oh really now?" Peter asked, a little surprised. "And what's your stance on it?"

"Well that's the thing....I don't know. On one hand this could be very beneficial for Atlantis and the surface to understand each other more. Maybe it could help improve life for everyone in the sea and on land. Though at the same time, it could potentially be harmful for the Atlanteans to expose themselves." Mera elaborated.

"How so?" Peter asked.

"Not every person is going to like knowing that there are people living in the ocean. And some people may be crazy enough to come to Atlantis to attack us." Mera said. "Plus, a great deal of the Atlanteans despise the surface. They may be more willing to come up and attack surface dwellers up here. Just like Orm tried to do."

Peter thought over her reasons, and he had to admit, she wasn't exactly wrong. "True. There may be people who are stupid enough to try that. But didn't you say that Atlantis has some kind of barricade with laser guns?" he asked.

"Yes." Mera said, almost forgetting about those guns that almost killed her when she was fleeing the kingdom with Arthur.

"Well I don't think you have anything to worry about." Peter said reassuringly. "I personally would love to see these two worlds come together. A lot of good could be made with that."