Prologue

~Saturday 16th June 7982 BC~

One may say that darkness thrives in the absence of light. However, Lucifer didn't believe that. He felt as though he hadn't even been living before he met his groom, his lover, as though he had been blundering through his existence blindfolded without a guide. Alone and blissfully incognizant, Lucifer had spent his first three thousand years thinking he had found all he needed, that there was nothing else for him to discover to enhance the beauty of the life he lived. Oh, how he had been wrong.

It wasn't the ravishing beauty his groom presented that had first piqued Lucifer's interests, nor was it his innocence or personality, despite all being admirable qualities. No, rather it was that of Olha's soul that had first attracted Lucifer toward him. It was the most bewitching entity Lucifer was sure he had ever set eyes on. A writhing, coiling mess of pure white light that seemed so disorganised yet perfectly aligned.

One may ask how something could be described in such a way, well, Lucifer may have believed he himself was omniscient but that was one question he would never be able to answer. Olha was the exception that proved the rule, the constant enigma that Lucifer would never be able to understand no matter how many times he took him apart and searched through all the pieces for the answers. He was innately good, with a heart of gold and a soul brighter than that of an angel.

He was perfection, in every sense of the word.

Olha would say differently, he was a stubborn boy, one who never seemed to believe the professions of love that Lucifer often bestowed upon him. He wasn't insecure, nor was he self-loathing, Lucifer was sure he merely liked to see the temper rise in his lover's expression. He would say it was Lucifer, instead, that held the beauty, the perfection. If only Olha could have seen himself through the eyes of his lover, maybe then he would have understood his worth.

Lucifer was roused from his thoughts as a small gust of wind ghosted his cheek, grounding his mind in reality, not the endless fantasies that drifted through his head. He lifted his head, turning it to gaze down the aisle where his lover was walking toward him. There was a gentle ripple of gasps throughout the guests that had been blessed enough to receive an invitation to the wedding. Lucifer, ignorantly, had believed it was because those joining them were in awe of his groom's beauty.

Olha adorned a wolf skin, stark white and absent of any other shade, much alike his soul. Contrasting flawlessly with the obsidian coloured skin that Lucifer wore. The representation was unparalleled, the execution even better, more than Lucifer could have ever asked for on that day. And yet, something was off. Lucifer knew that as he stared into the teal oceans that flooded Olha's eyes, something just wasn't right.

Breaking the eye contact with Olha, Lucifer's eyes flittered over the parted lips of his lover, drifting down over his pale skin until they reached a colour that most definitely shouldn't have been present. A deep red seeped through the ivory fur that Olha adorned, staining the boy's trembling fingers as he brought them up to the long arrow protruding from his chest. Fearful eyes met Lucifer's, Olha's lips quivering as he tried to formulate words, tried to take in a breath.

Lucifer sprinted forward, catching Olha as his legs gave out beneath him, unable to think of the words he so desperately needed the boy to hear. Cradling the boy, Lucifer merely stared down with wide eyes, utterly useless to do anything other than let the tears fall. Lucifer gripped Olha's hands when the boy's fingers brushed over his cheek, pressing his lips instead to the knuckles, not caring for the bitter, metallic taste that bit into his tongue.

"Y-You're gonna be fine, Ollie," Lucifer choked out a pathetic comment that sounded more like a plea to the Gods than a reassurance to his perishing groom. Olha's lips twitched, a smile trying to break through but not quite able to, tears mottling his unmarked skin.