Chapter Thirty-Seven

~Monday 8th October 2018~

"Tell me again why I'm having to come with you two tonight," Vivek grumbled as the three men walked up the garden pathway to Eryll's mother's front door. Her house looked smaller than Asmodeus' and Dove wondered whether they were supported by Eryll or just used money they had accumulated over the years. It wouldn't surprise Dove if Eryll did pay for his parent's houses, it was like him to be so selfless.

"Dove likes the company," Eryll teased, draping an arm over Dove's shoulders, "and I know how much you love my mother, how could we let you pass up on the opportunity?"

"You owe me, just so you know that. More than some blood, Eryll," Dove giggled when he felt the sting of Vivek's hand on his ass, "or maybe it should be you that owes me, Dovey," Vivek purred, pulling Dove into his arms when the three stopped on the front porch, waiting for someone to answer the door after Eryll had knocked.

"If Eryll says that's OK," Dove felt his cheeks heat as he looked up at Eryll, an innocent smile curving his own lips, rather a contrast to the dark smirk that was tugging at the corners of his boyfriend's mouth.

"We'll talk about it later, if both of you behave I might allow something," Dove giggled once again, peeling himself from Vivek and slipping his hand into Eryll's just as the door opened.

"Right on time, Eryll, can't you ever be late?" the man in the doorway joked, stepping to the side to allow the three to enter the house. Dove was thankful he was between Eryll and Vivek, he didn't like the vibe he was picking up. The house didn't feel warm and welcoming like Asmodeus', it was cold, almost depressing, putting a nauseous pit in the boy's stomach.

"Canaan, this is my boyfriend, Dove," Eryll introduced the two politely, although Dove didn't make any move toward the man, he couldn't quite figure out whether he was to be avoided or not, "Dove, this is my mother's partner, Canaan."

"I've never met any of Eryll's boyfriends, other than Vivek," Canaan flashed a genuine-looking smile, keeping his distance from the boy, "Kas and Prosper told me and Pandora a little about you. You have an old soul, correct?"

"Ten thousand years old, yeah, I have Ollie's soul," Dove saw the flicker of surprise cross Eryll's face when he used Olha's nickname. He hadn't even allowed it to grace his lips before, holding some degree of hatred toward the boy, despite only being able to go by memories and vague descriptions. He was slowly coming to terms with everything, taking it step by step, it would take time but he liked Eryll to know he was at least getting somewhere.

"I've heard a lot about Ollie, he was before my time, it'll be interesting to see if you live up to the legend," Dove nodded, his smile fading just a little. He may have been getting used to sharing Olha's soul but he still wasn't comfortable with being compared to him.

"He didn't mean it," Eryll murmured under his breath as they followed Canaan down the hallway elsewhere in the house. Thankfully, the man was distracted talking with Vivek so hopefully, he wouldn't pick up on their conversation.

"It's fine," Dove whispered, squeezing Eryll's hand briefly, "doesn't matter."

"You brought the witch, Eryll? Was there any need?" Dove looked away from Eryll, seeing the scowling woman stood by the stove, stirring a pot of something.

"Dove, my mother, Pandora," Eryll's voice sounded cold, much more distant than usual. It didn't hold that subtle adoration that it had when he spoke to Asmodeus, it just sounded monotone.

"You're the boy with Olha's soul, aren't you?"

"His name is Dove," Eryll corrected before Dove could even think of a response, "he's not Ollie and I would prefer it if you respected that," Pandora's stony expression didn't falter, if anything it grew darker as her deep blue eyes landed on Dove. The boy couldn't hold the eye contact for even a moment, crumbling under her oppressive stare, dropping his gaze to the floor at his feet.