Chapter Twelve

~Monday 30th July 2018~

30/07/18 - Five hours.

Early morning, sun rising. Older again, 25 maybe? Wearing an animal skin, no idea what era, some time long ago. Sat at the top of a waterfall, joined by Lucifer. Neither spoke for a moment, just held hands. Conversation ensued: "Syon told me about him," I spoke first, never looking away from the sun, sounded sad, "I can't be him for you." "He isn't what I want, I've come to terms with it, Caius. He died a long time ago, I have made peace, I know you're not him." Lucifer sounded sad too. "Break this stupid spell then, Lu, stop putting yourself through this. Sever the deal and I'll believe you." "I can't." I sighed. "I hate when you lie, it paints you in an ugly colour." "I can't risk losing you, Cai-" "Shut up, save your breath, I know exactly what you're going to say. Death is a part of life, Lucifer, and I refuse to be with you because of a part of myself I don't believe in." I removed the ring on my finger (I'm sure I've seen that ring before), giving it to Lucifer. "Cai, what are you doing?" Lucifer sounds scared, makes my heart hurt. "I will love you always, Lu," I whispered, before falling forward off the cliff.

Dove drew in a shaky breath, wiping away the tears that had stained his cheeks, leaning his head back against the wall. He had never had a dream like that. He had died in his dreams before, but never like that. He had never taken his own life. Really, the life that was lost wasn't his own, yet he still felt it all. Lucifer's voice echoing through his head, the wind rushing around his face, his body hitting the ground.

It was the impact that had woken him, and he had only just managed to stifle the scream that clawed at his throat. He didn't need to worry Eryll, it would only cause questions to be asked that he didn't have the answers for. Instead, he continued with his ritual, trying his best to stop his hands shaking whilst he wrote down what little he remembered. He certainly wouldn't be sad to have that memory lost in the recesses of his mind.

It was six in the morning, with the sun just beginning to peak over the horizon, that pretty orange glow illuminating Dove's room through his half-drawn curtains. There was no point trying to go back to sleep, Dove knew it would be a fruitless endeavour with his mind so awake. He had worked on fewer hours of sleep, at least that time the penthouse was quiet and Eryll didn't seem to have any company over.

Pulling on a hoodie, Dove exited his room, taking a moment to glance into Eryll's since the door was always left ajar. He looked to be sleeping peacefully, although the covers were askew over his naked form. With his gaze remaining on the upper half of Eryll's body, Dove crept into the room silently, having to squint in the darkness. Eryll's room was always far darker than his own since it didn't directly face the rising sun.

Once Dove had shifted the covers enough that barely any of Eryll's skin was showing, he noticed something glint in the darkness. Frowning, Dove leant a little closer, holding his breath and praying to God Eryll didn't wake up. Returning to his previous posture, Dove concluded maybe he should have gone back to sleep, he was certainly still fatigued enough to be seeing things.

Sammael caught Dove's attention, meowing loudly and stretching as he unfurled himself from under Eryll's arm. Dove scooped up the cat, scolding him quietly for almost waking the man, and carrying him from the room. Lingering in the doorway, Dove took one last look toward the slumbering man, content with the knowledge that he most definitely was sleep deprived. Eryll did not adorn horns, nor a tail, that would be just preposterous.

"You hungry, Sammy?" Dove placed the cat down on the counter, collecting the meat that Eryll kept for him from the fridge, "steak for breakfast, you are spoilt," Dove murmured cheerfully, placing the dish down on the counter. He watched Sammael eat whilst he made a cup of tea, an absent smile curving his lips, distracted only by his phone ringing in his pocket.