Chapter Twenty-Five

~Thursday 13th September 2018~

If Dove had ever thought coming home would have been easy, he was sorely mistaken. He had grown complacent being so far away, had forgotten the constant sense of dread and fear that would weigh on his shoulders, instead allowing the comforts of Eryll's companionship to bathe him in a deep shade of content. He had thought having Eryll with him would have made everything OK, he thought he would have been strong enough with his lover at his side. He was wrong.

Sight alone was enough to send Dove into a downward spiral. The image he had of the monster that had plagued him since childhood had blurred and faded but instantly snapped back to its full resolution. It twisted and contorted in Dove's mind, reaching out with those spined tendrils, infecting the boy's subconscious entirely, turning every ounce of happiness he had built to rot.

"You're OK, kitten," a bright light seemed to tear through the darkness invading Dove's mind, providing a lifeline for him that only strengthened when he felt Eryll's arm wrap around his waist, "I'm right here," Eryll's rich voice was the only thing stable enough for Dove to clutch onto, keeping him somewhat afloat in the floods of terror and anxiety that were brewing inside him. Dove gripped Eryll's hand that was resting on his hip, holding it tight, running his fingers over the old ring the man always adorned.

"Dove!" the boy recognised his youngest sister's voice instantly, having enough forethought to hold out his arms so she could jump into them, sitting her on his hip, "we missed you!" Swan wrapped her arms tightly around Dove's neck, giggling when the boy peppered kisses over her cheeks.

"I missed you too, Swan," Dove forced enthusiasm into his voice, keeping his eyes on his little sister, not allowing them to stray elsewhere for fear of the panic it may instil.

"Who's your friend, Dove?" of course Falcon would be the first to mention Eryll, rising from his place between Starling and Lark to join the two, or rather three, on the porch. He had a sceptical look on his face, however, displayed no hostility. Falcon may have been a fighter but was gentleman enough to give someone a chance.

"This is Eryll," Dove looked toward his boyfriend, noticing his dark eyes had never shifted from the monster dwelling nearby, "Eryll?" Dove squeezed Eryll's hand, finally catching his attention, seeing the wrath simmer down in his expression, overtaken by that beautiful smile of his.

"It's nice to meet you, Dove talks about you a lot," Eryll extended his free hand to Falcon, although the latter made no move, his eyes narrowing for a second.

"Why did you bring your boss, Dove?" Falcon, thankfully, shook Eryll's hand, although the suspicion in his expression didn't falter.

"He's not just my boss anymore, Eryll and I are together," Falcon cocked an eyebrow, a small smile flickering across his face before it disappeared completely upon his attention reaching Eryll. Knowing his brother far too well, Dove put Swan down, letting her run off back to the rest of the three siblings.

"I love my little brother, y'know, who wouldn't? He's one of the sweetest, kindest people I've ever met," Falcon stepped closer, clearly trying to be intimidating but not looking so since Eryll was at least half a foot taller than him, "and I'd like him to stay that way. He's had trouble with an ex before, one that didn't leave him in the best condition, mentally speaking. If I find out, either from Dove or any other party, that you're not treating him like a fucking king-"

"OK, Fal, I think he gets the picture," Dove's breath caught in his throat, the aching numbness spreading through his body like wildfire simply from the gruff voice that resonated through the air, "it's good to see you, Dove, we've all missed you so much," Dove tensed, every fibre in his being screaming as his uncle pulled him into his arms, cutting off that grounding contact with Eryll that was keeping him from floating away out of control.