Rewind

-kindergarten-

Jeremy sat in the field picking flowers. Another kid came stumbling along. He grumbled angrily and fixed his glasses.

"What's your name?" Michael asked the brown haired boy across from him.

"Jeremy Heere." He answered. "What's yours?"

"Michael." He replied. "Why are you by yourself?"

"I dunno. I got no friends." Jeremy shrugged.

"Someone like you should have lots. Wanna be my friend?" Michael proposed.

"Sure!" Jeremy smiled brightly.

And that's how they became friends.

-1st grade-

"So when a boy loves  a girl, they get married if the girls loves him back."

"What if a boy likes a boy?" Michael interrupted.

"Boys can't like boys!" (Wanna punch this kid? Me too)

"Yeah they can! And girls can like girls." He stated. "My moms love each other! They say so every day."

"Really?" He asked.

"Really! Anyone can like anyone!" Michael explained. Some kids smiled and others said they didn't know. Though, a lot still didn't believe it.

Including his soon to be brother in the front of the room. Rich.

-2nd grade-

"Happy Valentines Day!" Jeremy cheered. "I got you a Valentine!" He pulled out a little heart with a lollipop through it and gave it to Michael.

"I got you something, too!" Michael scurried over to his cubby and grabbed a little box which he gave to Jeremy.

"Woah..." Jeremy gasped. Inside was a cupcake. There was white icing with a big red heart. "Thank you!"

Every year after that, Jeremy gave him a heart with a lollipop and Michael gave him a ecupcake.

-4th grade-

Michael hugged Jeremy. It felt warm and safe. Shit I'm gay. Michael thought. Oops I thought a bad word.

Welp sudden moments of realization aren't bad.

Present

Jeremy thought long and hard. Michael was gone. He liked him, but Jeremy also like Christine. Michael took the chance, but he knew it could fail.

He scratched down a note in his neatest handwriting.

Dear Christine, I'm admitting this to you at last. I've had a crush on you since 9th grade and it's time I tell you.
                                   -J. Heere

He folded up the letter. Christine walked by, and without thinking he slipped into her bag.

"Hey. How's your day been?" Michael came and sat down. "I found this new way to get rid of a crush."

"Do tell."

"Think about every flaw they have and every time they've done something wrong." He lied. His crush on Jeremy was still strong but he thought being friends was easier than being enemies.

"So, we're cool?"

"We're cool. Do you mind if my new friend sits here?"

"Not at all."