Lunchtime Crisis

I was cleaning the bathrooms on the second floor of the library, my hands in yellow rubber gloves as I bleached the toilets. It was the last thing on Mrs. Rae's list before I could start working on my homework. I had my high school exams that I was already prepping for, they were just under two months away but right after I finished I had my college exams. My graduation ceremony somewhere in the mix, two weeks off after my college exams and then summer classes started. Which meant I had to stay on track and be as well prepared as possible. Luckily I was a pro by now, my second full year of juggling both.

I tucked the cleaning supplies back in the closet, locking the door behind me before making my way to the desk I sat at on the main floor. Mrs. Rae liked to man the second floor, which also happened to house the kid's section. I wasn't sure if she had kids or grandkids, the topic never something she had divulged and I wasn't in the habit of bringing family up. But if she was, she was probably the best mom and grandma. I, on more than one occasion, had wished that she was Penny.

My wish hadn't come true.

Spreading my textbooks out across the counter, I took a seat, smiling to a customer that walked through the door.

"How are you today?" I asked.

"Good, thank you, you?" She had a baby bundled in a wrap that clung to her chest. She looked worn and tired, anything but good.

"I'm well, thank you for asking. What can I help you with?"

"The kids section?" She knitted her eyebrows together, glancing around the room.

"Second floor, stairs are right down that hallway or there's an elevator to the left." I pointed in the general direction, I felt my phone go off in the back pocket of my jeans. "Please let me know if I can help with anything else."

She nodded her head, mumbling a thank you as the baby strapped to her started to fuss. I watched her as she hurried off toward the stairs before I pulled my phone out.

Penny: how long are you going to be gone?

Me: I'm at work, I always do doubles on the weekends

Penny: there is no food in this house

Me: I just went to the store

Me: can you call aunt Carla? I'll pay her back

Penny: I'm not calling my sister because you aren't paying attention

Me: there's food mom I know there's stuff for a salad

Penny: So you're trying to starve me too? That's just great. I'm the adult, I'm the mom. You're the child. How about I make the rules?

Me: I'm sorry mom I didn't mean that

Penny: what am I supposed to do?

Me: I'll see if I can take an hour for lunch and I'll pick you up something

Penny: when?

Me: I need to ask still

I left my phone on the desk. The last thing I wanted to do was listen to Penny. There was food in the house. There just wasn't food she wanted. Trotting up the steps to the second floor, it only took me a minute to locate Mrs, Rae as she cooed over the baby that had come in with its mother moments before.

I stayed back, leaning against the small desk off to the side where a pile of books were precariously stacked. Mrs. Rae laughed, her eyes crinkled in a smile as she placed a hand on the woman's arm. The woman nodded, wearing her own smile. They both looked down at the baby for a moment before Mrs. Rae left the woman to whatever she came for.

When she turned she saw me standing there. One of the things I loved most about Mrs. Rae was how even in a crowded room she always seemed to be able to find me no matter how hard I tried to disappear. Like she cared enough to find me but also to keep me. She'd had to put up with a lot of stuff because of me. I'd missed countless days, I'd over slept, I came in cranky and tired and agitated with customers. But there was Mrs. Rae, a kind smile on her face, steady and patient and consistent. She'd sit me down, she'd give me her time and attention, she'd listen and then she'd give me advice and support. She was the mother I needed, the one I wanted.

"How's downstairs?" She asked, picking up one of the books off the top of the pile. The whole thing teetered a little.

"Good, quiet." I reported. "Would it be okay if I took an hour lunch?"

I also loved that I didn't have to explain why I needed an hour lunch. We never really went into much detail but I knew Mrs. Rae had over heard me on the phone or with Max and Chelsea enough to know that Penny was my mom and she wasn't how a mom should be.

"We have a school coming in 30, remember? Can it wait until after?"

Even though she asked, it wasn't a question. I couldn't leave her with a school on the way. Even if she insisted I could.

"Oh right, I forgot. No problem." I said with a smile.

"I'll be down in just a few to get things ready." She returned my smile.

I skipped down the steps, my mind going through options on what I could do. Otherwise Penny would continue to blow up my phone, her attitude worsening with each minute that passed.

I piled my books up, tucking them under the counter for the time being before grabbing my phone to text Penny back.

Me: can't leave. I'll order you something and have it delivered. Pizza?

Penny: I can't believe this. I don't ask that much from you. You come and go as you please. You're barely around.

Penny: you're all I have and you don't even care.

Me: yes I do mom. But I'm at work. I'll stop by the store on my way home I promise.

Me: until then what can I get you?

Penny: the usual pizza

She was mad. But at least I'd tamed the beast for the time being.

                               ————————

Happy fourth everyone!