Those You Love

10 weeks later

Every morning at 6 am for the past several weeks my phone vibrated. And every morning, I smiled in that moment.

Today was no exception as I unlocked my phone with one hand, the other stirring the scrambled eggs that Penny wanted.

Savas: good morning

My eyes danced to the ending of our conversation from the night before. He had asked if I wanted to hang out after school. I had to decline so I could come home and spend time with Penny. She had been extra needy, crying that I was always too busy. She wasn't wrong. I was purposefully busy.

Me: right on time

Savas: always

Me: for now

Savas: I told you I'm not going anywhere

I bit my lip, pocketing my phone. My heart beating a little faster than it had before Owen had texted me. Owen and I were...something. Whatever we were, it terrified me but I loved it all the same. I loved his good morning texts and the feel of my hand in his, or snuggling up beside him watching movies at his house. I loved being near him, watching him get lost in himself during one of his games and the way he smiled at me. I knew better, but I couldn't help it. I still didn't trust him, I still couldn't open up to him but I could admit that we weren't friends, we were slightly more than that.

"Mina! Baby!" Penny's voice interrupted my thoughts. "I'm starving!"

"It's almost done."

I pocketed my phone on an eye roll, grumbling under my breath as I let the eggs fall onto a plate. I set the full plate on the counter beside the rest of the buffet.  Just a few more minutes and I'd be out of the house and away from Penny.

                               ————————

I was finishing up a thought on a paper I was working on in one of my classes, the end of the class drawing to an end when my phone vibrated. I glanced down at it, dragging my finger across the screen to reply.

Dad: I know you're busy but how about the first of the month? That's almost three weeks away.

I bit my button lip, nerves flooding my body.

Me: can I tell you in a day or two?

It wasn't that I didn't want to meet him. Or see him. I wasn't really sure what it was. In a way I knew him, it wasn't like he wasn't in my life for the first couple years. Maybe meet wasn't the right word. But whatever word I was supposed to use, the thought of finally committing to a date and time and where I would definitely be standing face to face with my dad scared me. I'd been making excuses for weeks now. Almost since the first day I finally texted him.

Dad: of course angel. How has your day been so far? What are you doing right now? Work?

Me: in class

Dad: what're you doing texting during class!

I smiled.

Me: you texted me first.

Dad: do as I say not as I do

Me: shouldn't you lead by example?

Dad: lol how old are you again?

Me: you tell me, you were there supposedly

Dad: I was there. But time has a way of slipping past you the older you get. I swear it was just yesterday you were born but then that can't be true because you'd only be a day old.