The Best at Billiards

Owen's smile didn't fade the entire car ride and much to my surprise he didn't talk the entire time. Not even to ask me where we were going. He just sat in my passenger seat, his hands in his lap, watching the landscape pass by.

This side of Owen Savas, as hard as it was to admit, wasn't that bad.

I pulled my car into the middle of two parking spots behind a little restaurant so that Owen would have enough room to get in and out. I killed the engine, sneaking a glance at him. He was taking in the building, the volleyball nets that were already set up outside for the summer volleyball leagues.

"Ever been here?" I asked.

He shook his head, glancing back at me, his smile not fading. "No you?"

I didn't answer, instead I climbed out and popped my trunk where I had put his chair. I pulled it out, unfolding it before I slammed my trunk and wheeled it to his side of the car. I wondered if I'd have the same trouble getting him out of the car as I did getting him into the car. I pulled the door open, releasing a breath into the cold air.

"Ready?"

His brown eyes met mine, his smile dropping a little. I was prepared to talk him through it again if I had too but I had been hoping that the success the first time around would have lasted longer than a 25 minute drive.

He blew out a nervous breath, surprising me when he said "Yeah."

"You've got this." I told him again, a smile tugging just slightly at my lips.

"On three." He mumbled, shifting himself to the edge of my seat. "1...2..." he looked up at me. "3".

And just like I knew he could, he switched to his chair without a hitch. He let out a laugh, the smile returning.

I leaned down so I was eye level with him. "I told you."

He laughed, this loud, obnoxious bark that came from deep within his chest.

"You love saying that, don't you?"

I started for the front of the building, glancing over my shoulder. "Just to you."

———————

I chalked the end of a pool stick, blue dust falling to pool around my hand that was clamped around it. Owen was just staring at me, he'd been unusually quiet on our outing. It unnerved me a little, he normally wouldn't shut up when it was just us at therapy, and now that we were out, just us, he'd lost his words. I was coming to the conclusion that something was on his mind and whatever it was he didn't want to talk about it. Which was fine by me.

"The name of the game is pool." I announced, blowing the excess dust from the end of the pool stick and handing it to him.

"I suck at pool." He admitted.

"I'm really good."

He laughed through his nose. "Perfect."

"You at least know how to play right?" I asked.

He nodded, watching me again as I readied another pool stick.

The pool tables where in the back of the restaurant by the doors that led to the volleyball courts. It was quieter, less crowded, the two of us the only ones back there. I was drinking water, he had ordered a coke.