Push

"I'm ready for this class to end."

I looked over at Zeke as he shoved things in his backpack.

"Almost there." I told him.

He gave me a grim look, apparently not taking solace in my words.

I laughed, zipping my bag up as I stood. "You'll survive." My phone vibrated, eyes catching site of Owen's name on the screen.

Savas: I'm gonna try and catch a nap, call you later?

Me: sure pain?

Owen operated like clockwork, calling me after class on my drive home most days. Assuming he wasn't busy or in cases like today, needing a nap which was his way of telling me his pain was high. I wasn't exactly sure how we necessarily fell into the routine but I was surprised at how natural it felt and he'd been doing it for weeks. Long before he showed up at my school that day.

Savas: Yeah Nan just made a bunch of cookies so I'm about to get high af and hope it helps

Me: you're ridiculous but good luck

Savas: you like it

I could practically see the smirk on his face. It made me smile.

Me: you're also obnoxious

Savas: music to my ears

Me: I have no idea why I like you

I knew exactly why I did though.

Savas: say that again? I don't think I caught it the first time

Me: I'm not repeating myself scroll up and read again if you must

Savas: god damn I must be in heaven

My heart was thundering away, it made me anxious and excited all at once.

Me: I'm done responding. You're obnoxious now go sleep

Savas: I bet you're smiling though

I bit my lip, even though he couldn't see me I didn't want him to know he was right. That I might have already been too far in and terrified and trying desperately not to hightail it from him. I wanted to stay, I wanted to trust him, I wanted things to stay just as they were. I could handle this. Maybe.

Savas: for the record I like you back but you already know that

Savas: call you when I wake up

I pocketed my phone, glancing up at Zeke who was smiling at me like he'd just caught me doing something I shouldn't be doing.

"What?" I asked, the smile falling from my face.

"What's got you so smiley these days?" He asked. "I'm not sure I've ever seen you smile like that before."

I had a couple of classes with Zeke over the past year and at the start of this class when he walked in and scanned the room he sat down next to me like we were old friends. Over the past several weeks I learned that Zeke was an only child, he had plans to graduate and move to a big city, the rural area in which we lived was boring and he longed for an adventure. We were going for the same degree. And everyday he brought a bag of veggie chips and a purple gatorade with him, offering to share which I always declined.

"Nothing." It was an automatic answer.

He snorted, his bag of veggie chips rustling as he jammed his hand in it. "Don't give me that bullshit."

I glanced over at him as we both started to leave and without thinking twice I said, "I guessing I'm seeing this guy."

"You guess?" He asked, eyebrows raises as he offered the veggie chips to me again.