Duos

"Guys I'm sorry."

Max and Chelsea just stared at me, both in similar positions, hands on hips, stony glare.

"I'm clearly not good at this." I muttered. "I didn't mean to let it effect us."

"You just stopped talking." Chelsea said exasperated. "You've never just stopped talking."

"I know."

"I thought we were better friends then that." It was the first thing that Max had said to me and he went right for the kill.

I was a terrible person.

"I panicked." I offered as an excuse.

"Over what though?" Chelsea asked.

I blew out a breath, dropping my eyes to the floor. I'd never seen a hardwood floor look so clean before. I bet Alec's parents had a cleaning lady.

"I'm over this." Max barked. "You know Mina all we've ever tried to do was be there. But you constantly make it impossible."

"I know." I mumbled.

"No I don't think you do!" He yelled, causing Chelsea to shush him. "Shut up Chelsea." He snapped at her. "It's stupid Mina. We're your best friends but yet you're hiding your mom away like we don't know she's massively fat." My eyes shot up to his, causing him to snort. "Yeah we know. My parents still stop by and see her every so often so yeah I've known all along. Played dumb because you all but asked me too. And it's even more annoying that you're sitting there putting Owen through all this bullshit. How far are you going to push him? Until he gets fed up too?"

I shook my head no, fighting back the tears that wanted to spring to my eyes.

"Max..." Chelsea scolded. "Mina, we were just scared. Besides this isn't the place where we should be doing this."

"No!"Max yelled and I flinched at the anger that he felt.

"He's been writing me letters!" I blurted over them both, my heart pounding erratically in my chest as panic closed in around me.

I didn't want to lose either of them. I just wanted them to understand.

"Who?" Max said, his voice still harsh but quieter.

I shook my head, shifting on my feet. "My dad."

"What?" They both said in unison.

I nodded. "Since he left. Carla was hiding them for Penny. She finally thought I should know, I guess."

"What're you going to do?" Max asked.

I finally looked up at him, his silhouette bleary through my tears. I'd tell them. I had to. That much was obvious but I couldn't now. Not here while we were tucked away in some random room of Alec's house. Far enough away from the party but still intruding on their space.

"Can we not do this here?" I begged. "Please, I'll tell you everything just not here."

Chelsea was much faster to agree with me, Max however stared at me like he was trying to decide if I was worthy of a second chance.

"Please don't hate me Max."

Maybe it was because I was on the verge of tears or maybe it was because I'd never pleaded for anything before but his angry resolve cracked and he let out a breath morphing back into the Max that I knew and loved.