22. Alive

Since the dream, Jack was beginning to become more responsive which caught the alert of both Michael and Jane who were always by his side. At 17 Cherry Tree Lane, the brother and sister duo sat in silence, working by themselves when the telephone rang. Looking at each other in curiosity, Jane dashed up to answer it.

"Hello? This is the Banks' how may we help you?"

"Yes, this is the London Hospital. I'm calling you in regards of a patient named Jack."

"Oh yes? Is anything the matter?" Jane but her lip nervously

Scurrying over like a rat, Michael brought his ear closer to the telephone trying to eavesdrop on what they were saying.

"What?" He mouthed

"Wait." She replied, mouthing back

"He's awake and we'd like if you can hurry over to the hospital to see his conditions in person."

"Oh my goodness! That's amazing! Yes! We'll be on our way!"

"What?!" Michael exclaimed

"Jack woke up! Hurry up, Michael! We have to send a letter to Mary Poppins! We can drop it off on our way to the hospital!"

"Right right!" Scrambling around, Michael grabbed a blank piece of paper and a pen "what do I write?"

"Just say Jack woke up! She'll get the point!"

"Got it."

In a flash, the three worded was in an envelope and ready to go.

"Why can't we just telephone her?" Michael asked

"I don't know her number or if she even has a telephone... you know, we really need to find that out." Jane said "come along!"

With that, they were running through the streets. Stopping by at the post office before heading off to the hospital. Reaching the hospital ward, they were greeted by the doctor who standing outside.

"Ah yes. The Banks correct?"

"Yes. That's us." Jane nodded

"His girlfriend doesn't happen to be here is she?" The doctor asked

"No, she had to go back home."

"I see, we'll he's inside. He's a little dazed so just be careful. See if he recognises you."

Sliding the door open, they saw Jack still lying there with his eyes closed. He had clearly been moved because he was in a different position and wearing different clothes.

"Jack?" Jane whispered

Twitching, his eyes slowly opened. His sight was still a blur and everything seemed so unreal. After blinking for a while, he finally managed to gain some sort of clear eye sight.

"Jack? Are you alright?" Michael asked

"Hm..." Jack mumbled, his eyelids getting heavy

"He's still very weak as you can see. We'll continue checking up on his condition for a while. Please inform Miss Poppins about what happened." The doctor said

"Yes sir" Jane nodded

"Mary... Poppins..." Jack mumbled under his breath before falling asleep

Mary Poppins had gotten the mail a week after it was sent. The whole house was in a delighted uproar after hearing the good news. Looking at the bottom of the letter, she laughed at a messy handwriting asking for her telephone number. Recognising the handwriting to be Michael's she laughed.

Rubbing her belly she looked down at it "your father is alive... thank goodness" she whispered

Writing a letter in response, she placed the telephone number along with it. She hadn't gotten used to the new technologies yet which is why she hadn't used it that much but she could see why it was faster. She still preferred the handwritten letters because they always looked much more genuine.

"John dear, please drop this letter off to the post office." She called out

"Okay!"

The letter reached the Banks a few days later and they were delighted to hear that the anxiety and nervousness had been lifted from Mary Poppins shoulders.

"Dear Jane and Michael,

Thank you so much for your short and quick letter. Everyone here is relieved to here that Jack is alive but I'm expecting he's a little weak.

Please don't tell him of the news yet as it may shock him. I will find some time to see him and will be bringing along the Banks here with me.

Disclosed below is my telephone number. I do not use it often so please refrain from constantly calling me on that silly thing.

From, Mary Poppins."

In the hospital, Jack indeed was still a little dazed but he recognised both Jane and Michael. Unable to communicate much, he would respond to them by blinking or nodding.

"I'm sure you're curious about Mary Poppins" Jane giggled as she saw Jack blink a lot more enthusiastically "Well, she's back at her home with the children. They're doing well. When she heard you were in an accident, she came here and took care of you."

Jack smiled to himself, he really missed her.

"You know, you've been in a coma for nearly 3 months now" Michael said "it's already February."

"Oh..." Jack mumbled, that really was a long time to be asleep

"We're all just glad you're alive" Jane smiled "Mary Poppins was very very worried..."

"Mary... Poppins..." he continued to mumble

"Just rest. She knows you're doing well." Jane patted his shoulder "I'm sure she'll come to visit you soon anyways."

I'm currently on holidays, so unfortunately only one chapter will be released this week. I do have more chapters already written and done but I'll be travelling a lot on the weekends so there's no guarantee that I'll even remember to post a chapter lol

Anyways, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I wasn't expecting people to like this story let alone read it at all! So grateful!