23. Love

The cold winter days were beginning to disappear and spring was on its way, the cold winds however remained leaving Jack shivering in his bed. Reading the newspaper, war had intensified and this Hitler Guy was leading it all. Men, young and old were being recruited for the war and even women were being asked to work in the factories. It just seemed like the world was ending at this point. Shaking his head, he tried to distract himself from the news. After all, he was still recovering too and he didn't need to make himself more stressed. The sun beamed down from the window and Jack smiled to himself. There was still light after all in this dark world.

Getting treatments were not fun and Jack really didn't want to spend a lot of time in the hospital. Being there for 3 months was already enough for him. He wanted to go home, he wanted to see the outdoors, he wanted to see Mary Poppins.

His legs were still bandaged and in all honestly, he felt ridiculous. It was getting itchy and very stuffy too. Regardless of what he felt, the doctors continued to insist he stay there for another week or two. Calculating how long that would be, it would nearly be March by the time he's able to walk around freely. His mind was active but his mouth couldn't follow. Unable to speak properly, he seemed like a baby learning to talk and therefore was only full of nonsense babbling.

The door creaked open and two familiar figures appeared. Since his awakening, Michael and Jane were consistent in their visits. It was really good to see them. Taking off his hat, Michael sat down beside the bed while Jane took a seat next to him.

"How are you feeling?" Michael asked

Jack opened his mouth to answer but ended up just nodding.

"Well that's good!" Jane exclaimed happily "we were just talking to the doctor and he said that the bandages on your leg can come off today"

Jack opened his eyes wide. Now that, was definitely something to be excited for.

"We've been in contact with Mary Poppins also" Michael butted in "She knows of your conditions so far"

"And she and the kids really want to see you" Jane grinned

They helped Jack sit up in his bed and gave him some water to drink. Now he really did feel like a baby.

"Some of your leerie friends have also come to visit and they say their greetings" Jane informed

A few hours passed and Jack was sitting in the doctors office. The time had come to take off all his bandages. Feeling giddy, he decided to control himself and wait until after to be overly excited. Being up and about, Jack found himself being able to finally speak but slowly. It was a start anyway. One by one, the bandages came off and Jack could finally feel air where he thought he would never be able to feel it again.

Meanwhile, in the country far from London city, Mary Poppins was busy making cake with the Banks children. The clatter of pots and pans along with the laughter that they were making, it finally felt like they had become accustomed to staying there. Shouting out the ingredients, Mary Poppins watched them do the dirty work. From mixing, cooking, decorating and even washing up. She had insisted on helping but the children wanted her to rest. After all, there was a baby in her belly and she needed to take care of it.

Sitting on the table top, they admired the cake. They had just decorated it with icing and some flower designs. Feeling proud of themselves, they patted each other on the back whilst saying well done.

"Mary Poppins" Annabel said

"Yes?"

"Valentine's Day is coming soon..."

"Oh is it?"

"Yes. We were wondering if you were going to go see Jack then?"

A smile appeared on her face. It seemed like a wonderful idea. She hadn't seen him in weeks and definitely not while he was awake. Making up her mind she stood up.

"Well then, how do you all feel going back to London?"

"We'd love it!"

"Very well then, you all should make valentines gifts for your father and aunt"

"Okay!" They echoed as they stampeded up the stairs

A few days later, they found themselves back in London looking over the tower bridge and the other buildings. It was far worse than they had last seen it but they decided to ignore it as that was probably best.

It was officially Valentine's Day and couples could be seen wandering around. The hospital was full of heart shaped balloons and Jack couldn't help but smile. Out of all days, this was the day he especially wanted to see her but little did he know that she was on her way. Michael and Jane knew of Mary Poppins visitation and were very eccentric when visiting Jack. He could tell something was up but he wasn't entirely sure what.

Just when his brain couldn't think of any other reasoning, Jane looked at the door and beckoned somebody inside. Blinking, there came in Georgie, Annabel and John walking in one by one. This biggest smile he had smiled in a while appeared that he nearly screamed with joy. That joy was muffled when he heard the sounds of other footsteps walking in. His eyes down to the floor, he slowly looked up to see Mary Poppins standing before him.

In shock and excitement, Jack leaped out of gave her the biggest hug. Taken aback, Mary Poppins laughed and hugged him back. In the background, the Banks cheered happily.

"It's Valentine's Day!" Georgie shouted

"Oh it is, isn't it" Jane smiled "you must be happy to see Poppins then Jack"

"Yes... I have no words to say..." he grinned, not letting Mary Poppins out of his sight.

"We have presents!" Michael exclaimed handing out the gifts to his father and aunt

"Why thank you, children!" Michael smiled

"Do you have a gift for Jack?" Jane asked Mary Poppins teasingly

"What! You appearing was gift enough!" Jack said "you're also making me feel bad because I didn't get you anything..."

"Too late for that" Mary Poppins smiled "after all, I got this gift months ago"

"Months ago?" Jack raised a brow

"Yes..."

Looking into his eyes, she smiled and looked down at her belly where Jack slowly followed her gaze. Confused at first, he began to notice the smallest bump there. His hands shaking and his eyes wide, he engulfed Mary Poppins in one more embrace.

"Are you pregnant!?" He shouted

"Yes, Jack. I am."