| Two |

| Two |

Salem:

It was now midnight and Carter was still not home. Donny was really working him to the bone at the whole mechanic scene. Donny once being my parent's closest friend. I think he gave the job to Carter to keep tabs on me. At first it bugged me, now I'm just glad Carter has a job.

"A job he works until past midnight," I sigh staring off at the sky.

The moon, bright and round tonight. Every year she stayed the exact same: beautiful and unchanging. Despite all that happened in the world, she stayed the same and that for a person like me was a comforting feeling. I pushed a breath from my lips and took another swing from my beer. How many beers had it been this time? I lost count after the third.

"Woe to me," I muttered moving from my seat to lean against the balcony's railing.

My gaze dropped down to the paved street below. It would be easy, to climb over the iron strip of metal and plummet right into my death. I chuckled, at the thought. When I was younger, after the incident I tried so many times to die. But Carter seemed to find me every.

He saved me and somehow had fallen in love with me along the way.

That was years ago.

Pushing back those thoughts I decided I didn't want to sit outside anymore. I should just go to bed and wait for Carter to come home. Pushing the glass doors open I stepped into the warm apartment. My foot hit the side of one of the damn glass bottles making me groan. What a fucking mess.

"Someone should clean this," I muse.

Beginning to stuff empty glass bottles into my arms then trotting to the kitchen, I find myself not minding at all. In truth, I was anxious for Carter to come home. Without him beside me, I had terrible nightmares at night.

Searching the cupboards below the sink I found a box of black garbage bags. Getting to work on the living room, I scooped the empty bottles into the bag ignoring the hazy drunken feeling that ebbed into my bones. After an hour, all the bottles were gone and I had a good sweat.

My weekly jumping jacks were not a sufficient work out. Oh well! Surveying the living room I was quite pleased by the new cleared space. I could actually see the light blue shag rug! Although, it shouldn't have gotten to the point where you couldn't see the stupid blue shag rug. I frowned slightly at that, blaming only myself.

If I wasn't such a fuck up...

A bitter laugh bubbled out of my throat, nope not even then. I'd still be me, no matter what situations happened in my life time. With another deep sigh I plopped down onto the black velvet couch. Carter's pride and joy. One of the many, many luxury items he had bought.

As soon as I got onto the couch, the front door swung open and Carter stumbled through dressed in his work uniform. On sore legs I stood, a smile forming on my face. He didn't notice me yet, as he shrugged his jacket off and tossed it onto the couch then slamming the door shut behind him.

"Hey!" I snapped inpatient.

He jolted, turning to face me.

His blue eyes wide as he stared at me, "What are you doing still up?"

"I cleaned up a bit," I replied shrugging my shoulders.

A smile bloomed on his face as he walked towards me. His arms pulled me to his chest. I gasped in surprise allowing him to be so careless. I relaxed against him and wrapped my own arms around his waist.

"Let's go to bed," he hummed, "just let me shower first."

Shower? My eyes widened suddenly as I smelled him. He did not smell like oil and sweat but like a sweet perfume. My heart clenched as panic welted inside me. Was Carter cheating on me? No. That wasn't possible – he loved me. He swore he did.

"Babe?"

"Really Carter," I whispered bitterly, "I didn't peg you as a cheater."

My hands shoved him back as my anger built in my chest. He took a step back before his rage contorted his face. Fear riddled me as I realized I fucked up. One hand shot out shoving me back as I fell onto my ass.

"Take your pills Sal," he snapped, "and stop acting so paranoid. It's annoying. I'm going to bed, if you stop being a bitch you can join me. Or sleep on the couch."

My eyes burned as I stared up at him, "Go fuck yourself Carter. If I came home smelling like a guy you'd think the same thing."

Carter laughed viciously, "That would require someone other than me to actually care about you. Don't be stupid. Goodnight."

My head dropped as I realized what he said was true. Carter was the only one who cared. How could I think he'd cheat on me? Guilt ebbed at me as he walked away. I held back my tears as I stood and numbly walked into the kitchen where my pills lay. With blurred vision I pushed the lid off and ignored as it fell onto the floor. Taking one of the pinkish pills from the bottle I popped it into the mouth then swallowed dry.

What a depressing life, I wondered if it would ever brighten. Maybe when that family inheritance kicked in once I turned twenty would make everything better. When I was rich would all the burdens weighing on my mind go away?

I sighed softly, at least I'd have Carter.