| Twenty Three |

| Twenty Three |

Salem:

I got home just as Enirr arrived. Instantly my feet froze and my eyes widened. Those beautiful golden eyes skimmed through the air before falling onto me. They narrowed and then, he began walking over.

"What happened?" he demanded taking in the form of my ripped clothing and layer of dust covering me.

I shook my head quickly moving away from him and towards our garden. I didn't want to say anything to him – I didn't want to give anything away. No, not until I figured out what had happened.

"Salem," his voice called.

I bent to unclip Cerberus from his leash and the pup took off to roll around in the dirt. Watching him made me relax slightly, until Enirr's fingers brushed my arm and I flinched. My eyes widened as his hand moved from me and I could see the blunt hurt in his eyes.

"Salem?" he asked softly.

I bit my lip, "I-I'm just really tired right now. Can I go lay down?"

He nodded stiffly, "Of course. You don't need such permission."

My head jerked into a nod and I wandered inside. Cerberus wandered after me and I was glad for his company. Behind me, I could hear Enirr follow at my heels and I tensed up. Would he further question me? If he did I knew I'd break down. What was Doctor Amkor – was Enirr the same?

The sinking feeling in my gut told me he wasn't human.

And yet, my heart still beat for his attention.

Something must be wrong with me.

"Holy shit," Akjan's voice had me flinching, "what happened to you?"

I looked up to where she sat at the main desk. Her pixie cut green hair was curled, those golden eyes watched me carefully. She was dressed in a bright pink crop top and pastel overalls. She was a friend and yet right now I wasn't sure who was who. Was she like Amkor?

I was afraid of the people I used to trust.

"Leave her be and get back to work," Enirr snapped, saving me from any explanation I couldn't think up.

She frowned but said nothing. I sent her a weak smile and continued my numbing walk back to Enirr's bedroom. Along the way Enirr left towards his office – giving me a slight relief to my own fears. Once there I entered the bedroom, allowing Cerberus to follow me before closing the door and I instantly stripped the wrecked clothing off.

My feet then moved towards the bed. I fell forward, onto the bed. Instantly warmth and comfort enveloped me. I breathed out, calmly allowing the events from the day to flood my mind. Tears filled my eyes as Cerberus whined, scratching at the door.

Even he didn't want to be near me.

My tears grew as a sob tore from my lips. I didn't want this – I didn't want this fucked up life, I didn't want these problems. I didn't know why Carter hated me, I didn't know how or why Amkor turned into such a-a demon.

"I should have died with m-mom, a-and dad," I sobbed into the pillow as realization hit me.

I didn't want to live.

A soft knock at the door pulled me from my sorrow-filled thoughts. I sniffled, sitting up and wiping my face and trying to calm down, "Y-Yes?"

"Salem?" Enirr's voice was soft, calculated, "Might I come in?"

I shook my head, "I-I don't feel well right now."

I felt like death itself.

I burrowed my head back into the pillow and wished the world to disappear. It was only a matter or time before Enirr hated me – I wasn't even sure the man was human. That was how insane I had become.

Faintly, the door opened. I didn't dare move – I didn't want Enirr to comfort me. I wanted to sink into the ground and disappear. However, it seemed Enirr had other plans. He whispered something to Cerberus – the puppy let out a small yelp before his paws padded across the floor. Growing softer and softer until they were gone.

Silence.

Then, the bed dipped and a cold hand fell on my nude back. My grief paused, as the cool touch seemed to calm the very corners of my soul. I sighed, closing my eyes briefly before tilting my head to peer at Enirr.

He was beautiful, his hair pulled back with two strands on either side of his face. Framing those beautiful and completely not human eyes. However, at the moment they seemed concerned. Concern for me?

"You're not a human. Are you a vampire?" I whispered softly, desperate for him to hurry up and hate me.

However, instead of smiting me for discovering his secret, a small smile bloomed on his pale face, "I am not little one but you're right, I'm also not human."

"I see," the words came out a sniffle.

His fingers drew circles on my back that for some reason kept me utterly calm, "That figures. You're too beautiful."

"Such words are of mortal standards," he hummed, "your soul could rival one like even the fallen angel of construction."

"My soul?" I whispered, "what does that mean?"

His eyes met mine and there, I could see the faint twinkle of silver, "One's soul is more grand than the stars in the sky. Yours is...beautiful Salem. Absolutely beautiful."