| Twenty One |

| Twenty One |

Salem:

I walked down the pavement with Cerberus at my side and a smile on my face. I felt surprisingly good – and without the help of any drinks nor pills. Akjan had given me a pair of her overall shorts along with a cute red blouse and I wore my black converse to match. Cerberus wore a cute little red bow around his neck and a matching red leash.

"I hope Doctor Amkor isn't mad," I told Cerberus as we entered the office building.

Cerberus looked up at me with a wagging tail. I giggled and shook my head. As if Cerberus could understand my silly words. He was a good pup, one unharmed by the troubles of being a person. I wished I had such an easy life.

We stepped into the elevator and I pressed the top floor. Slightly nodding my head to the elevator tunes for the brief few seconds before we were stepping off the elevator. Down the hall we went when suddenly Cerberus dug his paws into the carpet and refused to move.

"Come on boy," I soothed pulling lightly on his leash, "Her door's down here."

He looked up at me with a doggy pout before laying down. I sighed, too distracted by his cuteness to be angry. Scooping the puppy up into my arms, I made my way finally down the hall and knocked on her door.

After a few moments the door swung open and Doctor Amkor looked at me with surprised eyes, "Salem? What are you doing here? I haven't heard from you in quite some time."

I nodded, biting my lip nervously, "I'm ok. Can we talk?"

"Of course, dear! Come in, I'll make us some tea," she hummed, her eyes shifting to Cerberus, "And who is this little man?"

Stepping inside her cozy apartment, I placed Cerberus on the floor and clicked off his leash. To my surprise however, the puppy stayed right at my side as I crossed the room and sat down on the couch. Cerberus sat at my feet then, and when Doctor Amkor returned with the tea he growled lowly towards the woman.

"Cerberus!" I gasped, placing my hand on his head.

"Oh my," she said nervously.

I frowned unsure of his behavior, "I'm sorry! I don't know why he's acting like this."

"He is a puppy dear," the old woman smiled, sitting across from me, "It is alright. Is he why you've missed your appointments? A dog is a big responsibility. Did Carter think this was wise?"

My heart skipped a beat as she mentioned him. I grew quiet, unsure of what to say and disappointed. I owed a lot to Doctor Amkor, and I respected her. But not how she constantly brought him up. I felt like a child here. A child needing to be kept watched all the time.

"Carter and I broke up," I said simply looking at the woman.

Her mouth tumbled open, "W-What? Why would you do such a thing?"

Anger boiled under my skin. Of course she'd blame me. I pet Cerberus to keep calm as I thought of what I could say. How do I tell her what had happened? I paused realizing I didn't need to tell her anything. I didn't need to justify myself to this woman who constantly believed Carter was god-sent.

So I straightened my back and narrowed my eyes, "Carter cheated on me and I don't need him to continue to live. That is what you've taught me over the years and that's why I don't think I can see you anymore. I'm sorry but I want to start living for myself, no one else."

Her eyes hardened as she leaned back, "Well, that is certainly an opinion."

My shoulders shrugged, "And it's my own to make."

"And yet you're just jumping to another man," she chuckled, tilting her head, "Eric right? The owner of Fallen Funeral Home? A step up, I must admit however you're only fooling yourself once again."

"Excuse me?" I demanded, my fingers pausing from their petting.

She grinned, a cold grin that sent shivers down my spine, "Why would a man like Eric bother with you if not for his job? Be realistic darling. Once his duty comes to an end so will any feelings he thinks he has for you. You are not of the same kind, let alone same class."

Instantly I was on my feet offended, "How dare you!"

"Sit down!" she snarled, the skin of her face beginning to form and melt.

Fear clung to me as I watched in horror as her form began to change. My legs gave out and I fell back onto the couch. Cerberus growled, now standing in front of me. With shaking fingers I clutched his collar to keep from going near the monster. As quickly as her skin melted did it rearrange into the looks of a beautiful woman with long lush hair and shinning eyes.

"W-What are you?" I whispered.

She tossed her hair over her shoulder, "Your Carter knows me as Seri. You know me as that old woman and your faithful Enirr knows me as Myserien. Carter was fun until Enirr broke him, by the way, and now I hear you've stolen Enirr from me."

"W-What?" I cried not understanding.

She shrugged, "Nothing dear. Nothing. This time I'll make sure your soul cannot be brought back."

She moved towards me however Cerberus didn't seem to like that idea. He lunged towards the...Seri and bit into her arm. She hissed, tossing him across the room. Cerberus let out a whine as he hit the wall.

"Cerberus!" I screamed, tears dripping down my face.

"Don't be so surprised," Seri snapped looking down at her injured arm, "He actually got a good bite in. What a good dog. A dog with dark glory. Tell me, if Carter didn't give you that mutt, did Enirr?"

"I owe you nothing!" the words were laced with anger, "Leave me alone!"

A deep, gutted snarl cut through the air behind me. I turned my head as Seri let out a loud gasp. Cerberus' form grew until it was the size of the couch. His massive paws lost their flesh and fur – becoming bones engulfed with black flames. My eyes widened as he lunged towards the monster. His body hit hers, catching her off guard and they both flew through the wall.

Despite him new form, I worried for my dog. Jumping up I followed after, silently rooting him on. If anything else, I prayed God would keep him safe. Even if that monster woman did end up killing me.

"Cerberus!" I cried looked around the rising dust, panicked he might be hurt.

A moment went by before the massive dog stepped into sight. I froze unsure if he'd attack me as well however, that didn't seem to be the case. In a moment he tackled me, bathing my face with kisses.

New tears flooded my face as I hugged his head, trying to avoid his bone feet and flames that didn't seem to burn, "Oh boy I was worried."

He whined lowly, then his form changed back into the size of a pup. At that, I scooped him up and fled from the building. I fled as sirens wailed in the distance and panic rang out with the building residences.

I didn't understand what had happened but I knew that creature was trouble and some how Enirr was involved. I had to find out what was going on – I don't think I'd be safe until then.