| Six |

| Six |

Salem:

My heart was still beating hard from that encounter with that stranger. Even when I got back home it would not rest. I felt scared yet giddy. Giddy and excited. I wanted to know who that man was and I wanted to unravel his secrets. It was stupid and bizarre but this was a feeling I hadn't felt in years. Not since Carter had first asked me out.

Not since before my parents had died.

"Carter?" I call stepping into the apartment.

His head popped out of the kitchen, "Yeah?"

I smiled brightly, almost out of breath, "I had a good day today. I mean, when it happened I was pretty annoyed and scared. But once I started heading home, it was exciting Cart, it really was."

"That's great babe," he hummed walking out to a living room with a sandwich on a plate.

My eyes widened then narrowed as I watched him eat. He continued to watch SpongeBob for a few more moments before his eyes flickered back up to me. I waved dramatically around myself trying to hint for him to ask me about it, but his eyes just went back to the television.

"For fucks sakes," I snapped, feeling all the excitement drain from my bones.

"What?" Carter asked.

I flipped him off, "Nothing Carter, nothing at all."

Grabbing a beer from the fridge, I turned around squealing as I met Carter's hard chest. His arms caged me against the sink as I held the unopened, chilled beer to my chest. His eyes stared down at me like ice and I quickly looked away.

"Come on Sal, don't disrespect me," he whispered in my ear.

His fingers pressed hard against the under of my chin – forcing me to look up to him. Tears began to welt in my eyes as his fingers left my chin. I kept my gaze towards him, watching as his gaze drop down to my body.

"Babe you know I love you," he murmured lowly, "I know you're hurting inside. Why do you take it out on me? Why are you abusing me like this?"

Tears dripped down my face as my lip quivered, "I-I'm sorry, I'm s-sorry."

I was such a bad girlfriend. Carter had given everything to me, all I did was treat him like shit and think of another man. What was wrong with me? I couldn't fuck what I had with Carter up, I couldn't do that to him.

His lips met mine and I relaxed. He kissed me softly, gently. Reminding me that he was my everything. I was his everything. I reached up, wrapping my arms around his neck as he deepened the kiss. His fingers digging into my hips. Then, he pulled away, smiling sweetly down at me.

"It's ok Sal, I'll always forgive you. I do that because I love you, you're my everything baby. You always will be. Just keep your head clear ok? Think to the future, once you get your money we'll be living the rich life and you'll never be sad again," he whispered.

I nodded knowing he was right.

"Baby, I need you to listen."

I looked up. Away from where one hand clutched my Bratz Jade doll and the other hugged Batman tightly. My mom, she was beautiful. An utter angel with her blonde hair raining down in curled rings and her hazel eyes widen with fear.

"What's wrong mama?" I asked instantly dropping Batman.

She smiled, a beautiful and sad smile, "My love you have to hide under your bed."

This wasn't just a dream. It was a flash back.

A flashback from that night.

"Mama what's going on?" I cried as she shoved me towards the bed.

I didn't want to see this.

Please...no.

"No!" I screamed, jolting up.

My hand clutched my chest as I began to hyperventilate. I couldn't breathe, panic had wrapped around me like a boa constructer. My vision swam as tears dripped down my face. Looking around me I found myself in bed beside Carter.

"Baby I need you to listen."

Carter. I had to focus on Carter.

"My love you have to hide."

I threw my hands at him, struggling to breathe. Darkness crept closer. I needed help. I was stuck by the grips of the past. This hadn't happened in so long, I couldn't let myself lose now. My mouth tumbled open as I let out any noise – anything to get Carter to wake up.

"My love."

"Babe?" Carter's voice cracked through my dark bubble causing my head to snap up.

A sob escaped from my chest, as I clung onto his arm with shaking limbs. He quickly sat up, clicking on our side light table. His eyes quickly scanned over my shaking and sobbing body before he sighed deeply. He slid out of bed, where his disappeared for a moment before returning with a beer and my pills.

"Here," he said handing me the pills and the beer.

I hiccupped accepting the two items, "I-I-I had a d-dream. C-C-Carter..."

He ran a hand through his hair, "Take your pills first and drink your beer. Damn Sal, it's two in the morning, you have to calm down."

I nodded, fumbling to open the pill bottle and knocked two back then practically chugged the beer. I continued to sob, but at a lesser magnitude. Soon, my sorrow was washed away with the haze of my beer and the quetiapine.

"Better?" Carter muttered already laying back down in the bed.

I nodded, wiping my nose then shivering. We were both still naked from our earlier activities which was fine but now I just felt vulnerable. I slid from the bed on shaking legs and walked towards the pile of discarded clothes on the floor.

"Why are you getting dressed?" Carter moaned from the bed.

I looked back at him, "I want to."

"But you look sexy like that baby," he whined.

I sighed, a numbness spreading through my body. I know he meant well, but sometimes Carter's love felt like shit. Instead of answering him, I pulled on my bra and panties before walking back to the bed and laying back down.

Carter's arms wrapped around me and began to kiss down my neck, "I know what would make you feel better my love."

"My love."

I flinched, pulling away from him hard. He cursed, knowing how much I hated those words. I didn't bother answering him once more, instead letting my eyes close as fresh tears fell for a different reason. Instead of bothering me Carter merely turned his back and went to back to bed.