Prologue

As I looked up at his angry eyes, I could not help but smile. Even as he kicked and punched at my small body, I could not help but feel as though he was finally acknowledging me.

"Are you mocking me!?"He shouted angrily.

Father, I closed my eyes and let the pain consume me. I had been a child who was born out of the death of another. He often asked me why did I a good for nothing got to live, while my mother didn't. And I asked myself that too, I wish I could give my life so she would return. That way, I could see him smile. But for now, this was the first time he had even touched me. I was often in the care of the maids, I was handled with care by them. They loved me, and I loved them back. But I just wanted my father, I wanted him to be proud of me, to love me, to hold me and tell me everything would be alright, that this was just a phase he was going through.

"Stop smiling!"He screamed and brought me up by my hair. "Say something!"He handled me like a rag doll. And I felt like one too, I felt hopeless as his body was much larger than mine. I could do nothing even if I wanted. And the problem was..that I didn't even want to do anything. I wanted him to relieve himself of that hatred, if hurting me was something that made him feel good, then I would happily sit here and take all of the pain. Without a doubt, because I loved him with all my heart. And I hoped that somewhere in his heart, he felt the same way.

"Why don't you just die already!?"He yelled and pushed me back. Angry hot tears rolling down his cheeks. My eyes widening as he began to sob. Had I made him cry? Why was I always hurting him? "Leave! I don't want you here! Nowhere around here! Just leave my home! Leave this world! Disappear!"

"Father, do you really want me to leave?"I ask. My heart aching as it wished for him to say no. It wished for his love and affection. But we received nothing...

"More than anything in the world! I wish you'd just disappear from the face of earth!"He cried and hugged himself.

I stood on my trembling feet, I could barely see, everything looked so blurry. I stepped closer to him as he shook and cried on the ground. "Everything is your fault! If you hadn't been born she'd still be here! My Layla!"

Mom, he was right. If I had never been born, that beautiful kind hearted lady would still hold him and make him the happiest man alive. It was truly my fault, everything. I touched his hand and kissed his forehead. I would leave if that's what would make him happy.

"You're right, father."I whispered. "I will leave. I will disappear from the face of earth if that's what your heart desires."

He sat still, his eyes wide. He didn't respond, he didn't move, he didn't even blink as I left. I wandered the hallways, saying my goodbye's to the kind maids. To my family. I would never see them again. Perhaps this was for the best, I had no future. I could barely use magic, it was Celestial Magic. But I would never dare to use it, because it had been mother's. Her murderer had no right to wield her keys.

"Lucy-sama!"Spetto cried and bent down to carry me. She hugged me tightly in her aging arms. "You don't have to leave. We'll take care of you, like we always have."

"My father doesn't want me here."I tell her and caress her cheek. "I will go to another town, make a living for myself."I lie. "You take good care of him, that will be my wish. I will be alright."

"You're just nine! You can't survive out there!"Another said and clung onto me. "I can get someone from my relatives to take you in!"

"Thank you."I smile. "But that won't be necessary. I know what I must do. I have bothered everyone enough as it is."

Spetto bent down and rested her forehead on mine. "You're an intelligent girl. I believe in you."She closes her eyes. "If you want to leave, take these with you."She opens her fist, four keys resting on her palm.