Chapter Five

Luca and Bonnie were comparing the badges they earned and discussing their battles over breakfast the next morning while the rest of the gang were getting ready for the day. Serena, Korrina and Naomi get ready for the Showcase today. Korrina and Naomi were worried because of how amazing Serena is at the Pokémon performances, but they wanted to try their hardest anyways.

"Waiting for these preliminaries to start is a pain." Ash groaned to Gary and Clemont.

"Why don't we all go battle now? When we were in Alola, I heard about something called the Battle Royal." Gary said. "Four trainers go up against each other and try to knock all the other's Pokémon out. I think it's a 3 on 3 for all of the trainers."

"That would be awesome!" Ash exclaimed. "I remember hearing about that too."

"We don't have 4 trainers though." Clemont replied, always the voice of reason.

"What about Luca or Bonnie?" Ash asked.

"They're gone." Gary said, glancing over.

"Damn it." Ash muttered, crossing his arms.

"I'll join you guys." A voice came from somewhere behind the three men.

"I know that voice." Ash said, looking behind him. "Paul, what are you doing here?" Pikachu's fur raised, and Lucario growled slightly.

"I'm going to join that Champion's League." Paul smirked. The brutal Sinnoh trainer hasn't changed a bit. He still rubbed Ash the wrong way. "So watch out Ketchum."

"We'll see how it is then. If I remember correctly, I beat you in the Sinnoh League," Ash raised an eyebrow.

"I've gotten a lot stronger since then, and so have my Pokémon." Paul smirked.

"So have I but okay." Ash said, amused. "In case you didn't remember, I am champion of all the regions." Paul's cheeks turned red, but Ash dropped the issue.

"Let's go battle then!" Gary exclaimed, standing up. Ash, Clemont, and Paul followed him outside.

"Alright guys, send out your first Pokémon!" Gary exclaimed. "Umbreon, I choose you!"

"Chestnaught, help me out!"

"Lucario, let's go!"

Paul smirked, pulling out a pokeball. "Mastaka, standby!" A long, snakelike creature appeared from the pokeball. It was 7 feet long, with wicked, sharp-looking spikes that ran down the length of its frosty grey body, ending in a poisonous spike. The underbelly of the Pokémon was light blue, and it seemed like the ground was freezing underneath it. It's face looked like a Charizard, with inward-curving horns. The Pokémon looked terrifying, and Ash wanted to know more about it.

"What kind of Pokémon is that?!" Gary exclaimed, his mouth dropping open.

"I found him in the Aspera Mountains." Paul smirked again. "He's a steel and ice type, and deadly powerful."

"That's incredible. I wonder if there's any other new types of Pokémon that could be found in the Asperas. No one goes there, so it's a possibility." Clemont muttered, his thumb and forefinger on his chin, as if in deep thought.

"This should be a fun battle." Ash said with a smile.

"Let's start!" Gary exclaimed.

"Alright, Umbreon, use Dark Pulse on Chestnaught!"

"Chestnaught use Frenzy Plant!"

"Mastaka dodge and use Ice Beam on Umbreon!"

"Lucario you dodge as well, and use Aura Sphere on Mastaka!"