Chapter Ten

"I just don't know Gary," Serena stopped behind the corner. Naomi and Gary were talking, but it sounded really private. Serena was about to turn and walk away, but she heard her name.

"I don't know if I want to compete in this Showcase, Serena has so much experience and she's amazing, I'm not going to win." Naomi sighed.

"Just because you're afraid of losing to Serena doesn't mean you shouldn't try." Gary responded.

"If we keep entering the same Showcases, I'm never going to win until Serena gets the three keys she needs for the Master Class, and by then it might be too late."

"It's great practice Naomi, even if you do come in second. Maybe if you talk to Serena, you guys can work out a schedule or something so you're not competing against each other." Gary offered. Naomi sighed, and Serena could just picture her emerald eyes flicking towards the fire in the Pokémon Center common room.

"I guess," Naomi whispered. Serena backed up carefully, going back to her room.

"Hey, you were gone a while, I thought you were grabbing water?" Ash asked. He was laying in bed stroking Pikachu, who was snuggled on his chest. He glanced up and his face immediately turned serious. "What's wrong?" Serena glanced out the window and made her way to the bed, sitting down.

"Naomi doesn't want to compete tomorrow, because I'm competing." Serena said. "She's afraid that she'll lose, and she'll keep losing until I get my third princess key, and then she's afraid it might be too late to get three."

"I don't know what to say," Ash replied. This was difficult for him because Serena is his fiancée, but Naomi is his sister.

"I know this is difficult, I'm not asking you to choose me or your sister." Serena said quickly, sensing what Ash was thinking about.

"No I know," Ash replied, glancing at the full moon outside the window.

"Should I just not enter tomorrow? Give Naomi a chance? I have one Princess key already."

"That's up to you amor." Ash replied. "Maybe you and Naomi work out a schedule, every other showcase or something?"

"That's why Gary said," Serena replied. Ash grinned.

"Great minds think alike." Ash chuckled. Serena rolled her eyes.

"Let's sleep and think about this tomorrow." Ash replied.

~~~

The next morning, Serena walked downstairs with Ash, contemplating what to do. They found a table In the cafe big enough for their group and sat down, waiting to make an order.

Naomi and Gary appeared a moment later, and Serena sighed. "What are you gonna do?" Ash asked her.

"I don't think I'm gonna compete in this one." Serena said. "Naomi, can we talk?" Serena asked. Naomi nodded and followed her outside.

"What's up?" Naomi asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I overheard you last night. I feel terrible, you were right it's not really fair for us to perform together until we're at the Master Class."

"Serena I'm so sorry I should've come to you, not talk to Gary behind your back." Naomi apologized.

"No you're fine," Serena said, smiling. "I'm not going to enter this showcase so you can get a key, because I know for a fact that you'll win." Naomi grinned.

"Let's work out a schedule, like Gary said." Naomi muttered, smiling.

"Ash said the same thing," Serena smiled. "You perform in this one and I'll perform the next one and we just keep going like that, and if one of us isn't ready for the Showcase, then the other person can enter that time."