The Night Shift

Your P.O.V = 

"Hey Y/n do you want me to make you anything before I clean up for the night?" Zack yelled through the kitchen window into the diner. "I'll take tomato soup and a grilled cheese please!" I yelled back at Zack while I was sitting on a stool rolling cutlery on the diner counter. I was working yet another night shift at the diner. It wasn't that bad really. The people are friendly and the job is easy and enjoyable in my opinion all the other girls would just work their 2 PM to 10 PM shift then drive home, but I always stayed back to help Zack get a head start on the next day. I wouldn't get paid for it but Zack would always offer to make me a free meal and drive me home. Which was a nice add on because I don't own a car and all the public transit is closed by then, and it's expensive to take a taxi all the time. It sure beats walking at night especially in Gotham. Especially on a night like tonight.

A few hours ago, the tv in the corner of the diner had breaking news saying that most if not all of the Arkham inmates took over the building. Them broke out of Arkham and are let loose out on the city. After about an hour of information on the subject that was being broadcast on the news we turned it off and when it hit 10 PM everyone was rushing to their cars to get home. I can't blame them. I would be scared to but I'm just happy I have a ride home. I really don't want to walk home tonight and possibly run into one of those psychos.

"Dinner's ready!" Zack yelled over at me breaking me out of my thoughts while he brought the second soup bowl to one of the window booth's. I jumped up and excitingly walked over to the booth and having a set across from Zack like always. I couldn't wait to eat, I was starving! I looked down at my bowl and plate with a big smile on my face. Zack's food was always so good! "I made extra, so if you want more go for it!" Zack told me smiling. I could tell he was ready to eat. "Oh good! I must say I am starving!" A deep slightly gravely voice spoke from behind us. Zack and I look at each other in shock and worry before we turned around towards the voice coming from behind the booth. There stood an Arkham escapie holding a gun at us. The same man that the news was showing pictures of for an hour. None other then Jerome Valeska!

"You know how muh I love your cooking." Jerome stated with a dark sinister smile as he walked closer to the booth with a gun pointed right at us. My heart skipped a few beats as I now felt it in my throat. "What are you doing here Jerome?" Zack asked very calmly but in a combination of shock and anger all at once. "Well I was in the neighbourhood and I thought I would stop by and say hi, and maybe steal a meal from you without getting my hand held in a pot of boiling soup!" Jerome spite that last part out in aggression and slight rage standing at the booth. The gun was now pointed directly at Zacks head.

"But I wasn't expecting this treat to be here." He turned in my direction to get a good look at me. The gun following the direction of his gaze. I instantly had chills shoot up my spine, along with a gross cringe that I was too scared to show towards him. Why did he call me that? "What's your name sweet cheeks!" Again trying to hide my cringe, I looked at him and finally had a chance to examine his features. The first thing I noticed was his body frame and how strong he looked. But my eyes quickly landed on his obvious scars all along his face. I heard that his face was removed when he was so called resserected, but I couldn't believe how terrifying it made him appear. I would have to say that it did match his terrifying character as well. "It's Y/n." I replied a little too fast out of nervousness. "Nice name! Now move over." Jerome instructed waving his gun sideways. I instantly followed orders fearing him. But I went from afraid to petrified when I realize that I'm trapped in between Jerome and the window. "Well isn't this nice and cozy." Jerome stated getting comfortable in the booth, putting his arm on the top of the set behind me. Even though his arm resting behind me made me feel uncomfortable, the thing that I couldn't take my eyes off of was his other hand. Which was prompt up on the table with a gun aiming at Zack's chest now. "Oh tomato soup!" Jerome exclaims happily, somewhat acting like a child would when finding a new toy. He moved his arm that was behind me to move the bowl of food infront of him. At that point I could breath a little easier now that I was comfortable with my space. He grabbed a spoon and dug in but the other hand was still clutching the gun. Not daring to let it go. Even though I was scared I didn't care if he ate my food. I know I've lost my appetite. "So what do you really want Jerome?" Zack asked as he watched Jerome silently slurp down the soup. "Well you see Uncle Zack I want some answers." Jerome said then paused to eat another spoonful of soup. Wait what?! Did I hear him right?! Is Zack really Jerome's Uncle?! Once Jerome finished he continued. "The thing I really want to know-" Jerome was cut off by the sudden squeaking breaks of a patrol car as it pulled into the diner parking lot. Oh my God we're saved! I let a small smile show as I show two cops park the patrol car and start to get out of their vehicle. But before I could fathom what was going on, I was being pulled to my feet by Jerome who had a tight grip on my upper arm with one hand and the gun aiming at my head in the other. "I'll make this nice and simple. You tell the cops I'm here and I'll kill her." He spoke in confidence as he dragged me behind the diner counter, then crouching down out of sight.