The Dangerous Stranger

Your P.O.V:

My eyes glanced up and down the book shelf's, waiting for something to pop out and catch my eye. I already had two books in my arms but I always look for more. I'm not going to beat around the bush, I have an addiction. But I don't think it's a bad one. Well maybe if I spend a lot of money on books but I have rules with that. I only allow myself $150 to spend on books every month. So no harm done. Hell I come to this book store so often that most of the employees know me and when new books are in that they think I'll like they make sure to tell me. They're all really kind that way. That's one of the many reasons why I love this book store. The employees are not only kind but also have a really great hard cover collection. Not to mention it's the biggest book store in Gotham and the atmosphere in this place is nice and cozy. But what I'm really here for is the hard cover books. I love hard cover books! I was raised to think that books are like little worlds that deserve to be preserved and cherished so that one day I can go back and visit when I wish. So I'm always looking for the next one to add to my collection at home. Oww what's this one?!

I cheerfully pull a hard cover book with green leather binding off the shelf to examine the front. 'Alice Adventures In Wonderland And Other Stories.' I was mentally screaming with excitement. I read this book regularly as a child. I lost it in the move when my parents brought me to Gotham. I've been looking for another copy ever sense. I grazed the leather cover with my fingers before opening the book and started flipping through the pages. Simply reminiscing about my childhood. "Has my eyes tricked me, or just my madness? Has Alice really returned to me at last?" A voice says from the side of me.

I turned to look at a well suited man with long wavy hair, well groomed facial hair, and to top it all off a top hat. I giggled a little. "Oh is that in the book?" I ask a little embarrassed that I took a little too long to take his appearance in. I was trying not to act shy but I think it was bleeding through a little bet. I mean this guy is handsome! That only made my heart start to race. Man I hate social anxiety! It makes me so awkward. But that didn't seem to matter to him as he was doing the same thing as well. He was just standing there looking at me with shock and almost happiness on his face. "Oh I'm not too sure my dear. It rolled off my tough before I could catch it." He explains gathering himself from that pause he took. "Oh I see." I smile sweetly at him, putting the newest book on top of the two other ones I had then pulled them to my chest. "I'm sorry did you want to get by?" I asked stepping to the side, giving him room and trying not to annoy him. "No not at all I just saw that you were reading that book and I remember reading it when I was younger. I was infatuated with that book!" He states smiling at the book then at me. "Yeah I know the feeling. I used to read this book a lot when I was a child but lost it some time ago. But I've finally found another one." I reply trying to spark up some conversation. God he's so handsome and peculiar but is a good way. "Yes that's the main thing." He pauses still looking dumbfounded at me. I don't understand? Do I look funny? Am I acting weird or something? I start to think but my thought are cut off as he continues. "I'm very sorry miss. You just look a lot like someone I used to know." He apologizes with an emotion playing on his face that I can't describe as sadness but not happiness either. "It's quite alright. It happens." I continue to smile at him trying to reassure him. "Well I hope I bump into you again sometime." "Yeah I'm sure we will Gotham has a way of doing that." I giggled a little. "Yes it does." He agreed with a little smirk, then turns and walks away until he is down the hall of bookshelves out of sight.

I press the books closer to my chest. My heart was in my throat. I can't believe I just talked to a guy without getting all flustered. And he was so handsome too! After standing there in amazement at my  accomplishment, I started snapping out of it. Collecting my thoughts from before he strolled into the picture. I look down at my books to see what I have again. Yeah this should be enough for this visit. I thought to myself no longer interested in looking for books anymore but rather that man I just met. I really hope I see him again. But until then I'm just going to carry on and if it's meant to be then so be it. I simply said to myself as I started walking to the seating area.