A Cautious Father

Your P.O.V

I open the door to have a the warmth hugging my face as I stepped into the family restaurant. Soon followed by the sweet aroma of homemade cooking. All the recipes on the menu were handed down throughout our family, leaving our restaurant very well known in Gotham. Well, that's one of the things this restaurant is well known for. But there is just something about smelling home cooking that brings an instant wave of comfort over me. It just feels like home.

"Hey there's my little girl!" Me father announced with his arms up high. Looking directly at me through the circle of men around him. I giggled to myself before greeting him. "Hey Dad!" The men make way for my Father to pass before turning and walking away. I walk up to him and exchange a big bear hug. I always love Dad's hugs. A few moments later he let go from the hug putting his hands on my shoulders. "It's so good to see you!" He smiled. "It's good to see you too dad!" I returned the smile. "I have you favourite table ready for us." He exclaimed patting me on the shoulder turning around to start heading for the table. As we start heading to the table I saw how perfectly it was set. He had it set the way mom would set the dinning room table at home, with only made me smile more. "Just like home!" He stated happily putting his hands up praising the table.

"It's great Dad." "Now, how are things?" Dad started. "Things are going really good actually." I was going to continue but I was cut off by the quick thudding of steps coming closer, then a man presented himself at the table. "I'm so sorry to interrupt Don Maroni but we have a matter of business that needs your attention." He explains nervously. "Can't it wait?" My Father says sternly. "I'm sorry sire but they told me that it was important and it requires your attention  immediately." My Father sighs putting his napkin on the table before getting up from the table. "I'm sorry Y/n I won't be long I promise." He smiles then snaps his fingers at the bartender. "Hey get her whatever she wants." He orders pointing down at me. "What do you want? A shot or something?" Me Dad asks me. "No I'll just have some iced tea for now. Ill drink with you when you get back." I smiled earning a chuckle from my dad. "That's my girl!" He laughed as he walked with the man our of the room.

The bartender was kind and speedy with my order. Bringing it to the table then going back to the counter and let me have my space. Which was really nice. I haven't had time to just sit and think in the restaurant for a long time. No one is here of course. Dad always closes the restaurant when we have our schedule meals together, which is quiet nice to have Dad mostly to myself. And it's always at my favourite table. I can't help but smile at all the memories I had at this table. When Mom and Dad were working late on the menu or in the kitchen trying new recipes I was at this table either writing, drawing or doing homework. It was a lot simpler back then. Dad would do his side business in the basement and Mom would run the restaurant while I helped. But when mom died, Dad just dove into work and afterwards they both just became one but I don't mind. I worry about him of course just like mom did. I mean who wouldn't, but it is what it is. I miss her from time to time and I'm sure Dad does too and I think that's why we decorates the table like mom did. It's like we are making time to live in the good times of the old days. Even if it's only for a few hours.

As I reminisced my mind drifted away from family and to my boyfriend. A smile instantly grew on my face. He makes me so happy. My Dad doesn't know and I wouldn't dare to tell him. I mean he will find out eventually but not now. With all that's going on in the city and the crime families, it's just better off that way until the smoke clears. Actually while I'm waiting I should send him a text quickly.

To:Baby

Y/n: Hey baby I hope your having a good day! I was wondering if you wanted to come over tonight and hang out! Text me when you get a chance, love you be safe xoxox

I smiled as I reread the text before sending it and putting the phone back in my pocket. Not too long after Dad reappeared into the dinning room and took a seat. He was all smiles. "Ok so what are we drinking?" He asked while rubbing his hands together.

                       .            .            . 

The room was filled with our laughter as we talked, joked around and told stories. We were talking so much that we only got half way done our meal that was brought almost an hour ago. But it was still warm for the most part and our drinks were always full. Dad picked out wine for us to have. It's tradition and it tastes great with pasta. As this point Dad was telling me one of his many stories about being a Don. I didn't mind at all, after all he never tells me the bad ones. Well just the ones I don't find funny. I took another sip of wine as Dad finished telling his story. " But that topic is a story for another time." He tries to stop chuckling. He pauses to take drink of wine then continued. "Now have you done anymore exploring around Gotham?" "What do you mean exploring?" "Well Y/n you are an adult now. I'm sure you've wanted to go to a few places around Gotham." "Oh in that case yeah." I replied taking a bite of my meal. "Oh yeah where?" I paused knowing I have to be careful. I finished what was in my mouth then continued "Well I went to the art museum, I got dragged to a party at Olympus. I got a chance to see wonder city. Oh this really good Chinese food place on Miagani Island." I listed avoiding one night club in particular. "Oh that's nice! They say Wonder City is really interesting." "Yeah it really is." I say before taking another bite of food. "But I'm interested in something else." Dad states. "Like what?" I asked a little confused about how weird his voice was getting.

"Do you know an Oswald Cobblepot?" He asked very seriously looking sternly at me. Oh shit! How the hell does he even know about him. I need to play this cool. "No I can't say I do." Trying to play dumb. "Come on now Y/n. Don't lie to your dad." Well shit the jig is up he knows. How does he know. There was a silent for a moment. I just sigh knowing he is waiting for an answer and there is no point in lying. God this is a conversation I really didn't want to have. "If you already know then why do I have to tell you?" I become serious to match him. "Because I want to hear it from you.... And I need to know what to do with him." Dad then snapped his fingers. Alerting his goons into the room and with them came Oswald. All beaten and blooded. Being dragged to the side of the table then placed on his knees in front of us. The scene brought tears to my eyes.

Oh my god what did he do to him. "Now I need answers Y/n. Do you understand?" My Father leaned forward in his chair. I just nodded my head at a loss for words. "Just tell him the truth Y/n." Oswald quickly replies. My Father looked at him with anger in his eyes before looking back at me. "Are you two partners?" "Yes we are dating." I responded seriously. "Ok where did you two meet?" "I wanted to go to Fish Mooney's club with some friends. Just to see what's it all about and we met there." I looked at Oswald then back to my Father. "Now you were aware of this while he was working for me the whole time." "Yes but I knew fish wanted him dead." "Good last question. Are you two planning on taking me out and taking over?" He ask so serious that I was hurt. Why would he ever think that I want to hurt him?

"What No! Dad why would I do that to you? I already lost one parent, why would I want to lose another. I don't even want anything to do with the crime business. I like your stories but that's all. I promise on Moms grave Dad." I pleaded with him to believe me. "It's ok Y/n I believe you. Thank you for answering me." I sighed in relief that it was over. But I realized that this might be the end of a relationship with Oswald. I looked over at Oswald and smile. He returns the smile back in reassurance that it was ok. "Boys help him up." Dad orders. Two men pull Oswald up and let him go allowing him to dust off and straighten his suit. I instantly get up and give me a hug. Whispering apologize constantly as I did so. He whispered reassurances back. "These boys will drive you home Oswald." My Dad announced. "I'll see you tonight." Oswald says then kisses my forehead. I just hug him tighter. Once we let each other go I sit down and watch him walk out the front door.

"Have you completely lost your mind?" I turn to my dad with a raised voice. I can't believe he just did that. "I'm sorry sweetheart but I had to. Things are getting really bad out there and I needed to be sure." He explained genuinely apologetic. I just sigh know his point of view but still. "I understand Dad, but never do that again." I look directly at him. "I promise I won't .... do you want that shot now." He asks. "Hell yeah." I answered stress out rubbing the side of my head.