Forty

Marinette looked up at him. She understood why Luka would disagree with ChatNoir coming into the apartment. Since none of ChatNoir's midnight visits went according to plan. Marinette was also at fault. She couldn't resist his charms. For her it was impossible.

Luka knew this. He knew Marinette was Ladybug which made the connection between her and ChatNoir even stronger. It pained Luka to admit this. This is the reason why he insisted ChatNoir stay outside.

But, ChatNoir was preying on Marinette's inability to leave people helpless. ChatNoir tapped the glass tempted to use cataclysm to destroy the glass and whisk Marinette far far away where the Prince takes the Princess to live happily ever after, wherever that may be.

"I have to." Marinette told Luka as she unlatched the door still. She felt it was her obligation since he was her crime fighting partner for many years. She already abandoned him as Ladybug. Dare, she abandoned him as Marinette?

ChatNoir came in very cautiously flinching at every movement Luka made since Luka had already proved that if push came to shove he was willing to fight for Marinette. 

"Can I talk to Marinette privately?" ChatNoir asked Luka. ChatNoir had personal things to talk about. No way was ChatNoir willing to tell Luka any of them.

"It's not up to me." Luka replied.

"Just for a few minutes." Marinette promised Luka as she grabbed a grey sweater to cover up in ChatNoir's company.

Luka grabbed his pants that he slung to the floor and left the room while trusting Marinette. As Luka waited he brewed himself a cup of cinnamon tea and watched the minutes on the stove tick by.

"Are you okay?" Marinette asked seeing the expression on his face. The sorrow in his green eyes made her feel as if she should cradle him like a helpless kitten but her mind instantly replayed Luka's stern 'No'.

"I lost everything." He stated trying to attempt a smile. A tear trickled down his face. He was always taught by his father, Gabriel that men should not express their emotions. Emotions could easily build up then erupt at anytime a day burning everything in their path.

"First my mother, then Ladybug, then my relationship with my father, then my career, and most importantly you. The most amazing woman on this planet. The one woman who I disappointed the most. I am sorry I left you that night all those years ago. I am sorry that I am too late to be Emma's father. I am sorry that I am here but I wanted you to know that I love you.  I know you don't feel the same way but I love you. I love you."

Marinette could not think of a word to say. Just his four letter nickname that instinctively exited her mouth. "Chat.." She put her hand on his cheek to calm him down but the tears just poured.

He soon hugged her and sobbed into her shoulder. She bit her bottom lip. She knew love was more then the lustful romance that she experienced with him.

"You'll always have a special place in my heart." She added causing him to cling on to her tighter mumbling the words "Don't be so cruel."

He didn't want the special place in her heart to be as 'a friend' or 'just the father of Emma'. He wanted to be the one. The one that waited for her as she walked down the aisle in a breathtaking gown. It was too late. She turned him down both as ChatNoir and Adrien. He was out of chances.

"What happened to my pun loving cat?" She questioned trying to change ChatNoir's mood.

"He grew up." He replied.

"ChatNoir, would you even be here right now if your Ladybug was still alive?" She asked causing ChatNoir to immediately release her from his embrace. His tears dried up as he stared at Marinette in disbelief that she could ask such a question.

"Am I wrong? You never considered my feelings when you showed up on my balcony. You ranted on about how in love you were with Ladybug then you were depressed about your dad and how Ladybug will never love you for the fourth time. Then you and I had sex and you left. If Ladybug and you had gotten together you would of completely forgot about me. And here you are now repeating the past. I have a right to be a little angry."

Marinette was right of course he would have chosen Ladybug but that was impossible as far as he knew. In all honesty, she would of chosen ChatNoir back then if she knew he was the one and only Adrien Agreste.

"Mari...I" He tried to think of an excuse but there were none.

"Please leave."