> too long without you

Today, Natsu woke up feeling different.

His usual boyish routine of getting up for the morning, getting ready and heading to the guildhall - it all felt different and pointless.

There was a motivation missing; the usual thing that subconsciously pushed him to put any effort into his appearance or make sure he smelt nice. Not that it was something he really pondered on too much anyway.

Lucy had been on a mission for nearly two weeks now - and every day Natsu felt the aching absence of  her more than ever. Today being the worst.

Natsu climbed out of his bed and lazily threw on his clothes that were strewn across the floor, like a zombie.

He'd never felt like this before.

Of course he cared for Lucy, like he did anyone. Of course he would miss her, just like he would miss Erza or Gray... eventually. But something about the feeling that had been increasing in his chest worried him, because he knew what it was.

When he headed out of the front door - knowing Happy must be way ahead of him, already at the guild by now - he realised he had no idea of the time. Despite usually being the earliest to the guild everyday, (besides the exceptions like Mira or Makarov) Natsu had been slacking, sometimes not even showing up at all.

The boy's face was planted with a frown as he sauntered in the direction of the guild hall. He lifted his hands, running them through his hair and across his face - stressed.

He had to get these thoughts out of his head. These thoughts about her.

Natsu had gradually become more aware of his feelings for Lucy. Through their time together, he realised more and more how much he cared for her. But in these two weeks she had been gone... perhaps it was the aching distance Natsu felt between them, or the uncertainty of when she'd be back - perhaps that had been what was spurring Natsu's heart to palpitate anytime he so much as though of her - which was most of the time if he was honest.

A flash of her face in his mind; brown eyes, big smile and blonde flowing hair. It sent him. Causing his own legs to go weak and feel like jelly beneath his weight. What was wrong with him? He needed to get over this, or who knows how he'd react when he actually saw her in person again.

Natsu neared the guildhall slowly, a sudden fear beginning to creep up at the back of his mind. What if she was there? How should he act? To her, everything would be the same as they left it - but since she'd been gone, Natsu had developed something. A feeling for her that had become so strong he could barely stand being apart from her any longer - but couldn't even face her at the same time.

He felt helpless in his own mind - overcome by something so uncontrollable, yet so controlling. There was no way he could channel his desire, or change it, repress it. It was embedded deep inside him, and there was absolutely nothing he could do, except ache.

He barely had thought to check for her scent before smashing open the guild doors. Something he now regretted, as he stood there in the doorway - her eyes locked on his.

She was back! He was jumping for joy inside, screaming in happiness, a feeling like his heart was literally doing somersaults. But in reality, stood frozen, staring at her.

Most of the guild hadn't noticed, and anyone who did had quickly lost interest - it was just typical Natsu and his silly ways, smashing around the guildhall doors and making and entrance. He was thankful for the reputation he had built up - no one really took him too seriously. Except..

Her.

She was staring back at him, frozen just like him. Mid action, a hand in the air as she held a cup to drink from - probably something Mira had mixed her up on arrival.