>heads and shoulders

Natsu and Lucy, me and you.

There was a certain moment in our lives, where our friendship had began to slip away and was slowly replaced with something else - something different to whatever the term 'friend' seemed to define. Something more.

It was one day in particular,

We were on the train to Magnolia and as we sat side by side you managed to fall asleep on my shoulder. I didn't wake you up, you looked too comfortable.

For the rest of that day I could feel the heat of your head still pressed against my shoulder, and the scent of your blonde hair so close by managed to linger too. It was something I'd never really noticed before - the smell of your hair. But that day, it was all I could think about.

You'd asked me why I was distracted, why I was slacking or making mistakes on our mission. It was an important job request afterall, and catching the bandit seemed to be at the top of your mind - my mind was elsewhere. My mind was back on that train with your head on my shoulder and never got off.

You never seemed to mention it though. Even on the train back home when it happened again. It had become... routine, perhaps. Your head on my shoulder, the second time in one day - the second time... ever. The tickling against my cheek as a stray strand of your hair would brush across it; I never minded. In fact even the next time after that, another day, another job request, another time you lay your head on my shoulder - I never minded, and I never woke you up.

The times now, are countless.

Like I said, it became routine - even on the shorter rides you sought comfort against me. I liked to think perhaps my shoulder provided you with some kind of contentment - a stability of someone nearby, alive and breathing as my chest rose and fell. - at least thats what I thought of you. Think of you. Still.

When things developed, we moved from your head on my shoulder to something additional.

Before I knew it, your fingers were folded into mine, clutching, like if you let go you'd be gone. You were hanging off the edge of a cliff and I was all that was there to pull you back up again... or maybe I was the one hanging off that cliff. Either way, each bumpy train ride after another I would never let go or wake you - your hair against my cheek and your little hands in mine were enough.

Though every now and again I would wonder if you were actually sleeping.

A slight twitch as your fingers would tighten around mine and a sleepy breath exhale from your lungs. Maybe you were dreaming, dreaming like I did, of a place where my hand would grasp yours, thumb trailing back and forth across your fingers like a paintbrush on paper - ticking a picture upon your skin. I realised then how my dreams had became a reality, our fingers wrapped around eachother for countless train rides. Occasionally I would notice the flutter of your eyelashes as I looked down at your head on my shoulder - your eyes were open, awake and aware. Yet there was never a protest - which was unlike you. Perhaps you had had enough of leaning your head on the train's jittering window, no longer mesmerised by the rapidly passing scenery outside - maybe it made you feel dizzy, like time was moving too fast. So your head on my shoulder was an exception.

It was the limbo, the fragment in time or possibly the escape from reality that the train represented - it was ours, alone and a place we could put forward what we yearned for most - hidden, where no one could see. That's why our hands used to part as the train would come to a stop, and you moved your head from me - just like you would the trains jittering  window.

Nonetheless, it didn't take long for our experiments to move from solely the train rides we had managed to take alone, to elsewhere.

I remember the first time we held hands outside the train, I had expected your fingers to slip from mine and seek cover in the pockets of your skirt - like usual. This one time they didn't, and as we left the security of the cabin your fingers only held mine tighter. I walked you home, relishing the time where your hands were with mine as we chatted and laughed like nothing was new.

That night, I can never seem to forget. Simply feeling the grasp of your fingers within mine and the warmth that radiated through them - it was the next best thing to your head on my shoulder. The cold night air only heightened our being together, as it would sweep across your cheeks and leave behind a dusting of pink - it only brought you closer to me, your provider of connection.

When I left you at your apartments door, I also left behind any possibility that things could go back to how they were. The burning kiss you placed upon my cheek; closed that door, and opened a new one to a deeper friendship. I harnessed the feeling upon my cheek, nurturing it for days like any remnants left behind of your lips would assist to capturing the moment that everything truly changed.

From then we only progressed further, and the presence of your lips upon my skin, and your head upon my shoulder became pattern.

Your hand in mine moulded me into who I am writing this - and where I am right now, with your sleepy head on my shoulder as we sit in your apartment in the dark, I feel at peace - and I hope you do too.

Yours sincerely,
Anon.

-♡-

Lol I wonder who Anonymous is...

Anyway... this was a bit of a random one shot in a new perspective. Thought I'd try something different for a change.

Hope y'all liked it!
Tell me if you did!

I love feedback!

Also if you guys have any preferred styles of one-shots let me know too! I've been doing  a lot of similar ones recently and they mostly take place in the normal 'fairytail universe'... so let me know if you'd like anything different like AU's!

(Let's Fall in Love for the Night - FINNEAS)