Chapter 7

A week had passed since Steve and Peter went out for dinner. Since then, Steve decided to take Peter for dinner every day once he got home from school. Luckily, he didn't have any more headaches. Steve didn't know if he could deal with that again.

Today, Peter and Ned were going to hang out for a few hours before Peter went home. They were walking around the mall talking about Spider-Man stuff. "Dude, I'm proud you're no longer wearing the red and blue sweat pants, but even your current suit could use some upgrades."

Peter rolled his eyes "I only wore the sweatpants for like a month Ned! Let it go!" he started cracking up "And what do you mean upgrades?"

"Well first off," he grinned "You could put a communicator into your mask. That way, I could talk to you in the middle of a fight and you wouldn't have to use your phone!"

Peter nodded "That would be pretty nice..."

"Oh! And you could have different settings on your web shooters!" he started pretending to shoot webs "that way you could easily switch what kind of webs you were using!"

Peter thought about it "That would be cool too..."

"Best of all," Ned was practically jumping with excitement, "you could make your suit bulletproof!"

Peter sighed "That all sounds great Ned, but where am I supposed to get the money to build things like that?"

Suddenly, a tv in a nearby department store caught his attention. A man in a suit and tie with a black mustache was speaking to the camera. "This is J. Jonah Jameson from The Daily Bugle. I am speaking to citizens asking for their help. The menace known as Spider-Man continues to rampage the streets. The Bugle has tried time and again to capture pictures of the menace, but he always finds a way to get away from our photographers. I am offering cash money to anyone who can take a picture of Spider-Man and bring it to the Daily Bugle. Thank you, goodnight."

Peter looked over at Ned with an evil grin on his face "Please tell me you aren't thinking what I think you're thinking..."

"Who better to take pictures of Spider-Man, then Spider-Man?! It is a genius idea Ned!" he grinned "And I would get paid!"

"It sounds risky..." Ned said worriedly.

"But I get paid!" Peter jumped with excitement "Besides, if I make sure no one else takes my picture, then I won't have any competition! It's a great idea!"

Ned sighed "If you say so..."

~time skip~

That night Peter got his camera and took it out on patrol. He would web it to a wall and would set it to take multiple pictures over different intervals. By the time he went home, he had a ton of great pictures to give to Jameson!"

~time skip~

"These are crap!" Peter's jaw dropped as the man looked through his pictures. "But I'll take them! Robby!" a second later an older man with curly black hair walked in "Put this picture on the front page. Make the headline, 'Spider-Man, Pest or Criminal?'"

The man sighed "I'm telling you Jonah; the guy is only trying to help people out. He's not a criminal."

He waved him off "We'll let the readers decide that." He turned back to Peter "Here you go kid. Give that to the woman at the front." He handed him a check for $500! "Listen here, if you keep bringing me photos of Spider-Man, I'll keep giving you checks just like that. Now scram I have important business to attend to! And bring me more pictures of Spider-Man!"

Peter grinned from ear to ear as he walked out of the office and over to the front desk. A woman with black hair smiled at him "Hi, how can I help you?"

"Mr. Jameson told me to give you this." He said.

"Sure thing." She took the check and looked at it. "Nice to meet you, Peter Parker. I'm Betty Brant." She then handed him five $100 bills.

Peter laughed "That's funny, there's a girl that goes to my school that's named Betty Brant."

"Oh, that's my little cousin!" she smiled "You go to Midtown?" he nodded. "Well then, have a nice day Peter Parker from Midtown." They both laughed, and Peter went on his way. This was the best job ever!

~time skip~

"Dude that is the worst job ever!" Ned sighed as Peter told him everything that had happened. "Jameson is going to use those photos to talk trash about Spider-Man!"

Peter shrugged "He would have talked bad about me anyway. I might as well get paid for it. $500 Ned! That's enough to start making those suit upgrades you were talking about! Just think, I could make webs, that electrocute people! It can knock them out so that I don't have to!"

Ned bit his lip "That does sound super cool..."

"Right?!" Peter jumped up onto the bed in his room "I can make so many upgrades by giving him photos."

Ned sighed "I guess it is a pretty sweet gig..." he started smiling. "Alright, I guess a give you my blessing."

"I wasn't asking for permission..."

"Well, you got it anyway."

~time skip~

Peter decided not to tell Steve about getting a job for the Daily Bugle. Having a job was fine, he just didn't want to have to explain that he took pictures of Spider-Man. He would probably freak out saying that it was too dangerous to be around Spider-Man. Hey, at least it wasn't as dangerous as actually being Spider-Man. That was a hard job.

~time skip~

Peter was swinging through the city looking for some trouble to stop and some pictures to take. He had stopped a few petty thieves and muggers but nothing big had happened. Yet.

He was swinging by some warehouses when he heard an explosion. He figured he should go and see what it was.

He went over to the warehouse that the noise had come from and snuck inside. He made sure to stick his camera to the wall. He watched as some men were carrying boxes out through a big hole in the wall. There was a man in a green and yellow suit who seemed to be giving them orders. "Hurry! Before the cops show up! These parts are essential to the plan!"

Peter almost laughed. He loved it when villains monologued! Peter jumped down from the ceiling. "Hey, I'm Spider-Man! What's your name?" he jumped out of the way as the villain shot some kind of electric bolt at him.

"Ah, the famous Spider-Man!" he shot electricity from his hands "My name is... Electro!"

~time skip~

Peter fought Electro for over an hour. By the time he webbed him up he was exhausted and in pain. When he took his suit off at the tower he saw that his hands were covered in burns. He sighed and changed into his pajamas. Hopefully, they would be healed by the morning.

He was about to go to sleep when he realized that his throat was kind of dry. He walked out of his room and snuck into the kitchen. He was getting a glass of water when he heard someone come up behind him. "Up late studying?" he turned to see Tony standing behind him.

"What? Oh uh... yeah, something like that..." he was about to grab his water and leave when Tony grabbed his wrist.

"What happened to your hand?" he examined the burns.

"Nothing!" Peter said and quickly pulled his hand from his grasp. "I uh...tapped it on a hot pan during home ec! No biggie! Well, goodnight!" he quickly ran to his room before Tony could say anything else.

Tony scratched his beard "Somebody is lying..." the next morning he told Steve about the burns before Peter woke up.

When he got out of bed Steve eyed Peter closely. But he didn't see any burns. When Peter headed to school he looked over at Tony. "How could he have possibly healed that fast...?"

(A/N - Hey guys! :) Thanks so much for reading!!! :) Remember, with great power comes great responsibility!)