Chapter 9

A week had gone by since the Avenger's encounter with Spider-Man. They were all still in various levels of shock from his answer. Who wouldn't want to be an Avenger?! Steve found himself thinking about this a lot.

He would think back to the night that Spider-Man had gone to that fire and the Avengers hadn't. he still regretted that. What if Spider-Man couldn't save everyone and someone died? What if Spider-Man died? That would be on his conscious.

Bruce told the others about the scars he saw when he was giving Spider-Man stitches. He also told them about his being very skinny. They were all kind of surprised by what Bruce was getting at. Sure, Spider-Man liked to goof off. He would tell jokes during fights and he sometimes acted like a kid. But at the same time, when the time called for it he acted just as mature as adults. They just couldn't believe that he might be a teenager!

Steve really took this to heart. If Spider-Man really was a kid, then that meant he had a better moral compass than all of the Avengers combined. He was not afraid to help people. If he saw someone in danger, he would do whatever he could to rescue them. The Avengers were controlled by the government. They didn't get that choice.

All of these things were going through Steve's head when he decided to take Peter to a movie. They were rerunning the Back to the Future movies and Peter thought it would be hilarious if Steve went to see them. Irony aside, he did really like the movie.

They were walking out of the theater and Peter was talking at around a hundred miles per hour about the best parts of the movie. Steve thought it was pretty funny. It was times like these that he loved spending time with Peter. He was a bundle of energy and he loved watching him get excited over things. He just wished he knew why he lied to him...

"Peter... there's something that I have been meaning to ask you..." Suddenly, a car came flying past them with three police cars chasing after it. Peter stopped and watched as the car flew by. Steve looked over at him. "I'll be right back Pete. Stay here." He ran off and quickly got changed into his suit. He then took off after the police cars.

Peter had the same idea. He quickly got changed and followed after them. Because of his webs, Peter was able to get there before Steve.

He swung down and jumped onto the roof of the car. The guy started swerving to try and knock him off. When that didn't work he stopped the car where it was and jumped out. He tried to run off down an alleyway, but Peter webbed his legs together before he could get away.

The police officers got out of there cars and quickly put a pair of handcuffs on the guy. One of them went over to Peter. "Thanks, Spider-Man! If not for you this might have ended up a lot worse."

"I was just doing my job, sir." He was blushing underneath his mask.

"Well, it was a job well done." Peter turned around to see Steve walking up.

"Oh uh..." Peter rubbed his neck nervously. "It was no big deal really..."

Steve smiled at him "Don't sell yourself, short kid." Peter didn't like the way he had called him 'kid'. Steve clearly noticed it. "Do you mind if we talk somewhere private? It'll only take a minute."

Peter climbed up a building and waited for Steve on the roof. The whole time he was thinking about all the ways this could go wrong. Did he know his secret? Was he about to find it out? Was he going to keep pestering him to become an Avenger? He was so nervous!

Steve opened the door from the stairs. He was slightly out of breath. "Why did we have to talk up here again?" he took a seat next to Peter.

Peter smiled "You did say somewhere private. I don't think anybody will bother us up here."