22 | I'm dumping you

I must have made a sound without realising- a gasp, or a stumble, or something like that- because both Jace and Zoe whirl round in alarm, and freeze up when they see me and Lauren there.

I'm trembling all over- part from sadness, mainly from rage. Rage at Jace, who I trusted with my heart, at Zoe, who I thought was my friend- and at myself, because I was so stupid. How could I ever think that Jace Jaxon, the well-known player, would settle for someone as plain and unpopular as me? The worst part is that I was warned, and by so many people- even Portia, who, not being my friend, could've just kept quiet. I was that stupid. I thought of nobody but myself, my romance with the popular boy- and said popular boy just threw it all back in my face.

And- Zoe?

How could- I don't- I don't get it! Zoe was always the nice one of our friendship group. We were all best friends- me, Elena, Zoe, Lauren- but Lauren had her bitchy moments, Elena could be sour and cold towards you when you annoyed her, I was prone to jump to conclusions- but whenever we argued, Zoe was always the desperate peacemaker, wanting us all to be friends. She stayed friends with me after even Lauren blew me off.

Wasd all that niceness an act?

No. I can't believe that. It has to be some sort of misunderstanding.

But Jace...

I'm done giving Jace Jaxon chances with my heart.

I take a meaningful step towards the frightened two, who have leapt apart and are staring at me and Lauren in a sort of paralysed shock and fear- and guilt, especially in Jace's blue eyes. Those gorgeous blue eyes, those blue eyes that gazed into as we kissed, and was reminded of summer. Those gorgeous blue eyes that had me fooled for so long. The guilt in them just confirms that this is no mistake. He meant to kiss Zoe.

"Hi babe," I say, in a fake sweet voice, smiling at my cheating boyfriend. He blinks at me like an idiot, and I fight to resist the urge to slap the senses into him. I struggle to keep my smile on my face.

"I've been looking for you, " I continue, fighting a tremble in my voice- I will not let this guy break me. I am strong, and I will show him so. "The boys told me you'd be out here. They left out the bit about cheating, obviously...shame, because if I'd have known, I might have stopped off by the PE shed and picked up a baseball bat to bring with me. Do you think tat would've been a good idea, Zo?"

Her face is as pink as her party dress, and I recognise the dress as one I bought her for her birthday last year. The pearl-pink one, with the short, flared skirt and b order of pale pink pearls round the hem and neckline. Kinda ironic that this is the dress she betrays me in. But Zoe doesn't stay frozen for long.

"Trust me, Evvie, I never meant to hurt you!" she gabbles, rushing towards me as if to grab me. I shrink back, holding up my arms before my face to ward her off, and she stands breathlessly before me, dark hair flying out behind her like a mane.

"Oh really?" I snipe, "Is that why you were, you know, kissing my boyfriend? That's seems pretty hurtful to me..."

Zoe just blinks at me in confusion. "Boyfriend? But-"

"Look, I'm sorry babe," Jace cuts her off quickly, face as red as Zoe's painted nails, "It was a mistake, a spur of the moment thing- I promise it will never happen again, but I'm only human-"

"As am I!" I seethe at him, "As is every fucking person in the world who has never cheated on the person they are supposed to love and love alone!"

At the same time as I say this, Zoe whirls towards Jace and hisses, "But you told me you broke up with her ages ago!"

That's when the both of us whirl to eachother and yell, "What?" in utter shock.