40 | Heart

Quick update, I know, but I thought I should probably make up for my hiatus, and anyway, this chapter is cute as fuck and I wanted you guys to read it :)

40 | Heart

When my phone rings, neither of us notice it at first. We're tangled up in eachother, barely aware of anything around us, so when the phone buzzes in my jeans pocket, I don't even feel the vibration against my thigh.

Julian is the one who pulls away first. When I give him a confused look, he says, "Your phone, Ev. It's going off."

I scrabble to pull my mobile from my pocket, noticing the ringtone now that Julian has pointed it out. I stare down at the screen, and notice that the caller is Mum.

My heart rate immediately speeds up, and Julian reaches out and grabs my hand. I have to force myself to keep still and not give myself in to shaking. It might not be bad news, I tell myself. It might not even be about Jamie- Mum might be calling to ask me to turn the dishwasher off.

But, deep down, a sense of dread is rising inside me. I just know that Mum is calling about Jamie- she'd call one of the Laceys otherwise. What if she's calling to give me the inevitable news...what if all they could do just wasn't enough? What if he's-

"Evvie."

I peer up into Julian's face, taking in the firm nose, the angle of the jawline, the tantalizing dark curls that hang messily over his forehead. Most of all, the bright, reassuring green of his eyes. God, I could melt into those eyes. Even with the traces of tear-tracks on his cheeks, I'm pretty sure you could get lost in a face like Julian's- but now really isn't a time for swooning over how hot a guy is.

He squeezes my fingers. "Evvie, pull yourself together, you're getting anxious over nothing. It might be good news, you know."

"And it might not be," I whisper, "Julian, what if it's-"

"Ev."

He purses his lips at me, and I sigh. "Okay, accepting incoming call."

I raise the phone to my ear, but despite Julians words, I can't stop my fingers from shaking. The anxiety, I suppose. I guess it might never really go away. The shock that remained after what happened to my brother- to Elena, to me- will never really fade. The memories will always be there, holding me back my whole life. Laughing in my face.

"Mum?"

"Evvie, where are you? I called the Laceys at the cottage, and they told me the boys said you'd gone out. Are you okay?"

I relieved to hear no tears or grief in her voice- just concern for me. Still, I can't let myself feel happy yet. I exhale. "Mum, I'm at the cliff with Julian. Why did you call-"

"Julian, huh?" I can almost hear the smile in her voice, and I roll my eyes, hoping desperately that Julian can't hear what she's saying.

"Mum, now is not the time."

"You're right, sorry." Yeah, right. She doesn't sound sorry. "I just wanted to call to let you know you can come to the hospital now. If you want. Bring someone with you...there's someone you might want to talk to."

I breathe in sharply. Is she implying what I think she is-

"Ev, are you okay? You've gone all pale- is it bad news-" Julian's gone full-out protective mode on me, reaching for me with a look of concern on his face. I give him a smile that I hope is reassuring, but I can't be totally sure it is, because I really don't know.

"Mum, I need more than that-"

"I'll see you and Julian there in an hour, yeah? You know where the ward is."