Two

Kagome blinked open her eyes. She was greeted by a large fuzzy puff ball in front of her face. She sat up and realized she had been laying on top of Sesshomaru. She slid back from him.

The forest around them was nearly destroyed. Kirara's hiss from a little ways away told Kagome that she was either hurt or found an enemy. Kagome got up to look for the twin-tailed cat. She didn't have to go far.

Kirara was holding up a tree that could have fallen on top of her and Sesshomaru. Kagome turned around and pulled Sesshomaru out of the way from where he laid unconscious.

Kirara let the trunk roll off her then went to stand beside Kagome. "We can't just leave him here," Kagome told her.

Kirara lowered her head and nudged Sesshomaru's arm. She managed to get her nose under him a little. Kagome helped roll the unconscious demon on to Kirara's back. She made sure she still had the jewel then climbed on Kirara and they flew back to the shelter where Shippo, Sango, and Miroku were.

"What happened?" Sango asked, seeing who they brought with them.

"Someone attacked us," Kagome said. "He wouldn't move, so I tried pushing him out of the way but all it seemed to do was make him unconscious."

"That's odd. A demon falling unconscious..." Sango trailed off in thought. "I mean, I've never heard of such a thing."

"Lets get him inside, shall we?" Miroku suggested.

They were about to move him when he stirred. They backed away and Kirara turned her head away a little. Sesshomaru blinked a few times before sitting up on Kirara's back. She crouched down so the male demon could step off. As soon as he did, Kirara turned back into the tiny kitten she almost always was.

Sesshomaru wasn't facing the group. "Why did you do that?" he asked, directing the question at Kagome.

"I-I wasn't going to let you be killed," Kagome stuttered.

Sango pulled Miroku and Shippo in the hut. Kirara sat just outside the door.

Sesshomaru turned to face Kagome. "You put your life in danger..."

Kagome looked away. "S-So? I do that all the time just by coming he-" She stopped when she felt arms pull her close. She leaned her head back so she could look up at Sesshomaru. Her head was a little over even with his chest. She couldn't find words to say. Her face heated up when she heard one word come from his mouth.

"Arigatō."